[Mk2] [Turbo] EBC question

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Buster

[Mk2] [Turbo] EBC question

Post by Buster »

I've run a couple of these before in previous modded turbo cars but generally I just use a good quality MBC.

Anyway, without getting into the why you should always run an EBC and or MBC's are all pish.

If your EBC is set up correctly shouldn't it be much less prone to spiking than and MBC?

I'm running a Blitz dual solenoid EBC which has a broken solenoid at the moment......allegedly.

Additionally, has anyone used an in car adjustable Hallman MBC?[/b]
alanmr2turbo

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] EBC question

Post by alanmr2turbo »

You just answered your own question.

You solenoid is fubar'ed

Never had a spike on my EBC
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

A misconfigured 'EBC' will spike, for example on a Greddy controller if you have your start boost set too close to your target boost pressure it'll overshoot.
Buster

Post by Buster »

alanmr2turbo wrote:You just answered your own question.

You solenoid is fubar'ed

Never had a spike on my EBC

I never said my Blitz EBC was spiking buddy, but to be fair perhaps I should have explained myself a bit better? I was asking if EBC's are less likely to spike or if set up correctly won't?
Last edited by Buster on Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buster

Post by Buster »

Incidentally the solenoids I was told "were broken" and that's why the Blitz EBC "couldn't be set up", well the boost controller is set up fine now and holding boost perfectly.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

if the solenoid is connected up and not working then you'll get slightly less than waste pressure ie 6-7 psi on a rev2 or 9-10psi on a rev3+ turbo. Going by your other threads and pic of the airfilter setup you have a rev3+ conversion so hitting 13psi is odd with a busted ebc.

edit - all sorted now, just needed setting up :) :thumleft:
Buster

Post by Buster »

It was hitting 13 psi when I collected the car and continued to do so for about 100 miles until the Chinese copy fuel pump instead of the TRE fuel pump I paid for plus installation packed in.

It can hold 17 psi no problem now so it's always been working fine in reality.

Had to spend over £500 to get the correct and new fuel filter plus a genuine Walbro pump fitted, so maybe that had something to do with it being "broken".

Fuel filter had never been changed btw. It was still the original N/A one that had been in it from the day I bought it.

But much more of what we are uncovering to come, with reports, pics and proof obviously. Lol!
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

well on the plus side at least the pump failed nice and early. Running lean for long on these engines under boost conditions generally ends with extra ventilation in the block and oil all over the road :( Still crap you're having to get it fixed as none of these things are cheap to fix (and should have done first time round) Tis a worry indeed
Buster

Post by Buster »

So if my Blitz dual solenoid boost controller is working fine and is set
correctly it shouldn't ever spike? Contrary to what the person that fitted the now working perfectly EBC said?

I do wonder as the previous EBC ‘s I've had in other turbines cars have never spiked and I live in Scotland where you may have heard it can get a touch parry at times?

Like easily minus double figures even when it hints at winter up here. ;)
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

It may require the ratio turned down a bit in cold weather to prevent over boosting but that's like a 5 second with an ebc rather than faffing with an mbc in the engine bay. I usually turn my dual blitz down a couple of points when I notice rising boost levels in winter. Tis an easy clean job :)
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

The fuel pump failing wouldnt reduce your boost pressure.
Yes it will make it run lean but it would still boost the same
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

Buster wrote:

But much more of what we are uncovering to come, with reports, pics and proof obviously. Lol!

Show us the money! Pics are worth a thousand words.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

markstevieandmads wrote:The fuel pump failing wouldnt reduce your boost pressure.
Yes it will make it run lean but it would still boost the same

This.
Buster

Post by Buster »

aussieGT wrote:
Buster wrote:

Show us the money! Pics are worth a thousand words.

I will mate.

I'm just having to go through stuff I find, document and take pics as I go that's all.

It's going to take a bit as I don't have the money to get everything done at once but I will.

The wiring in the engine bay is particularly interesting, lol.

Return to “Modifications”