www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
[Mk2] [Turbo] EBC question

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: [Mk2] [Turbo] EBC question Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I’ve run a couple of these before in previous modded turbo cars but generally I just use a good quality MBC.

Anyway, without getting into the why you should always run an EBC and or MBC’s are all pish.

If your EBC is set up correctly shouldn’t it be much less prone to spiking than and MBC?

I’m running a Blitz dual solenoid EBC which has a broken solenoid at the moment......allegedly.

Additionally, has anyone used an in car adjustable Hallman MBC?[/b]
alanmr2turbo

Feedback Score: 10

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

You just answered your own question.

You solenoid is fubar'ed

Never had a spike on my EBC
Gazza_DJ
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 12

1997 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

A misconfigured 'EBC' will spike, for example on a Greddy controller if you have your start boost set too close to your target boost pressure it'll overshoot.
Buster
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

alanmr2turbo wrote:
You just answered your own question.

You solenoid is fubar'ed

Never had a spike on my EBC

I never said my Blitz EBC was spiking buddy, but to be fair perhaps I should have explained myself a bit better? I was asking if EBC’s are less likely to spike or if set up correctly won’t?

Last edited by Buster on Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buster
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Incidentally the solenoids I was told “were broken” and that’s why the Blitz EBC “couldn’t be set up”, well the boost controller is set up fine now and holding boost perfectly.
raptor95GTS
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9

1995 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

if the solenoid is connected up and not working then you'll get slightly less than waste pressure ie 6-7 psi on a rev2 or 9-10psi on a rev3+ turbo. Going by your other threads and pic of the airfilter setup you have a rev3+ conversion so hitting 13psi is odd with a busted ebc.

edit - all sorted now, just needed setting up [Smile] [thumleft]
Buster
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

It was hitting 13 psi when I collected the car and continued to do so for about 100 miles until the Chinese copy fuel pump instead of the TRE fuel pump I paid for plus installation packed in.

It can hold 17 psi no problem now so it’s always been working fine in reality.

Had to spend over £500 to get the correct and new fuel filter plus a genuine Walbro pump fitted, so maybe that had something to do with it being “broken”.

Fuel filter had never been changed btw. It was still the original N/A one that had been in it from the day I bought it.

But much more of what we are uncovering to come, with reports, pics and proof obviously. Lol!
raptor95GTS
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

well on the plus side at least the pump failed nice and early. Running lean for long on these engines under boost conditions generally ends with extra ventilation in the block and oil all over the road [Sad] Still crap you're having to get it fixed as none of these things are cheap to fix (and should have done first time round) Tis a worry indeed
Buster
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

So if my Blitz dual solenoid boost controller is working fine and is set
correctly it shouldn’t ever spike? Contrary to what the person that fitted the now working perfectly EBC said?

I do wonder as the previous EBC ‘s I’ve had in other turbines cars have never spiked and I live in Scotland where you may have heard it can get a touch parry at times?

Like easily minus double figures even when it hints at winter up here. [Wink]
raptor95GTS
Premium Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

It may require the ratio turned down a bit in cold weather to prevent over boosting but that's like a 5 second with an ebc rather than faffing with an mbc in the engine bay. I usually turn my dual blitz down a couple of points when I notice rising boost levels in winter. Tis an easy clean job [Smile]
markstevieandmads

Feedback Score: 5

1993 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

The fuel pump failing wouldnt reduce your boost pressure.
Yes it will make it run lean but it would still boost the same
aussieGT

Feedback Score: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Buster wrote:

But much more of what we are uncovering to come, with reports, pics and proof obviously. Lol!

Show us the money! Pics are worth a thousand words.
androo007
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

markstevieandmads wrote:
The fuel pump failing wouldnt reduce your boost pressure.
Yes it will make it run lean but it would still boost the same

This.
Buster
Premium Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

aussieGT wrote:
Buster wrote:

Show us the money! Pics are worth a thousand words.

I will mate.

I’m just having to go through stuff I find, document and take pics as I go that’s all.

It’s going to take a bit as I don’t have the money to get everything done at once but I will.

The wiring in the engine bay is particularly interesting, lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Modifications All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: