REV3 Turbo - Lightweight Alloy radiator from ebay

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Juliuswws

REV3 Turbo - Lightweight Alloy radiator from ebay

Post by Juliuswws »

Hi,

Anyone having any experience with these full aluminum (including the tanks on the sides) radiators from ebay?
Can't post URLs, but they go for 135GBP

They look good enough on the pictures. Bleeding might be awkward as there is only a cap on the top instead of a valve, but I could work around it.

They mostly go under the name: GPI Racing ..... anyways,
Thank you for your input
Draven

Re: REV3 Turbo - Lightweight Alloy radiator from ebay

Post by Draven »

I had one on my old MR2, wasn't bad really did the job. Bleeding is your main issue you will get a fair amount of coolant leak while you're bleeding but if you persevere they do a good job and are an upgrade from the original.
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

Thank you kindly for your input. I think I will go for it. I've seen a couple of handier ones with proper valves, but those have plastic tanks on the sides and I had problems with those. Wasn't actually an MR2, but still, I try to stay away from them.

I figured when I will do the bleeding, I'll lift up the front of the car. That will hopefully do the trick.

Thanks
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

lift the back of the car when refilling and bleeding the coolant. Use cap filler as the main air bleeder but you obv have the heater matrix bleeder as well. You can hand squeeze the radiator pipes at the actual radiator to help push air bubbles out of the system. When the rad pipes are too hot to touch, the radiator is fully filled with coolant.
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

raptor95GTS wrote:lift the back of the car when refilling and bleeding the coolant. Use cap filler as the main air bleeder but you obv have the heater matrix bleeder as well. You can hand squeeze the radiator pipes at the actual radiator to help push air bubbles out of the system. When the rad pipes are too hot to touch, the radiator is fully filled with coolant.

Thanks mate, I will try it.
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

Got it today, it's pretty impressive by the looks of it. Nicely packed, so light I thought I've been scammed and the box was empty.
I will put a few pictures up (once I reach 15 posts.... ](*,) )
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Probably the same as the Japspeed one, sold under various names.

The bleed screws are crap, on mine it was not possible to open the bleed screw once hoses were fitted. I had to trim the plastic bleed screw. Other people have fitted a proper valve to this to allow bleeding via the BGB method using the hoses.

Fan fitment was xxxx too, the bosses at the bottom for the fans were not quite right. I had to modify the OEM fan slightly to get it to fit.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

i snapped a bleed valve clean off when trying to open it for the first time. Replacement radiator I just bleed it by hand and never touched the valve!
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

By the look of it, I have different one compared to what you both had. Mine has aluminum side tanks and the bleed valve and cap is all aluminum as well.
Mine is looking exactly like the Mushimoto one. The bleeder valve is a tapered top nipple with a simple cap on it.
Still, its pretty crap construction. I got around it as I bought a M/F 1/8" 27 NPT valve which screws on perfectly.
I will post some pictures once I'm allowed. I'm still 5 post away from it
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

Correction: I'm 4 post away from posting pics
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

No, hold on it looks like only 3
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

I mean 2 :)
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

1 more
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

Finally I can post URL's :D
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

This is my take on the bleeding

I can easily hook up a little hose to the end and do it like I would with the original radiator.

Few more pics. Doesn't this look to you like a Mishimoto radiator?
It weights 3.99 kgs without all the caps

I will make a separate post about this as I'm very happy with the price (135 GBP incl postage), delivery time, quality of packaging

Cheers
ej2_sir

Post by ej2_sir »

@juliuswws
Have you fitted this yet? I'm in need of a new rad and wouldn't mind knowing a) which one you bought off eBay and b) how's the fit in general including fan shrouds etc? C) like the valve idea any links to where you purchased? Thanks for any info in advance
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

Hey mate!

Haven't fitted it yet, I'll do it in the coming weeks, just too busy now unfortunately.

I bought this one. This was the only seller who answered quickly and promptly to all my questions about tread sizes, location of stock, postage method, etc.
It came from Czech republic by DHL, arrived in around 5 days.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40MM-FOR-TOY ... 2749.l2649

Fitment of fan shrouds?
No experience yet, but as I read about it, even Mishimoto doesn't line up properly. No biggie I guess, just get a drill and enlarge/oval the holes on the shroud or worst case, small offset brackets. In fact, I am getting 100% sure that this is exactly the same radiator as the Mishimoto one. I will post a topic about it.

Valve:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/182235604564

Cheers

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”