1998 na moonroof model 57k on clock worth saving

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

VGB

1998 na moonroof model 57k on clock worth saving

Post by VGB »

Ok so I know I've made a major error by neglecting my car.

It's been off the road for four years. I need to move it to get access to the driveway. The brakes are seized. Taking off the rear wheel and I can see it's rusty underneath. As in arms etc. There is some surface rust showing on sills so probably worse underneath. It started but the drive belt has snapped and pully seems pretty rusty too.

This is all from a quick glance. So question is, should I bother trying to get it back on the road or am I just going to be pouring money down a massive hole. Should I cut my losses get a turbo or just walk away altogether. I do have another na sat behind this one which has been sat firceven longer. ](*,)
pbmr2

Re: 1998 na moonroof model 57k on clock worth saving

Post by pbmr2 »

So why was it parked up in the first place? as in did it have existing issues?

Brakes will need all new, min £130+ if the calipers are ok.
All belts, cambelt, tensioner, fluids, thermostat and water pump while you're at it. £200+
Plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotor £130+
4 tyres, £400+
New wipers £20.

That will prob get it back on the road.

Is £880 too high? well if you were to buy any other used car, then most of that should be done in the early months of owning it anyway. So the cost isn't anymore than any other car, with the bonus of not having to buy it also.

The suspension rust on the arms isn't too much of an issue, they are strong.

The rusty sills are hard to say, it may be good enough to pass an MOT today so will just need sorting in the next year. need more info.
But for a worst case costing for utter tin rot doom, £600+. but often much less than £300, if you can weld then it's just the cost of steel, gas and wire.

My car was parked up for 3 years in a heated garage, and all it needed was the service items, all new brake pads and 4 new tyres. Did 13k the next year without missing a beat.

If you were to buy a car with all of the above done and an MOT, then expect to pay £1800+ for an NA.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Yes this is all true. It was off road due to needing a new radiator. Which I got a couple of years ago but never got around to fitting.

I've an older one too, Rev 2. This one started after charge with no issues and drive again without issue. I appreciate it will still need all the same bits doing to it but it gives me more faith as it started without making life difficult for me. :D
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Even if you buy the mintiest of mint turbos from Japan, you will probably end up spending a decent amount bringing it up to scratch anyway. As even the newest SW's are now around 20 years old.

Unless you end up buying someones car that they've already done all the work to refresh it that is!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”