rear brake pads - discontinued from Toyota now?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

raptor95GTS

rear brake pads - discontinued from Toyota now?

Post by raptor95GTS »

as above, tried to get stock rear pads for the car and both Toyota and TCB told me they were no longer available. Got some stock alternatives coming but anyone else had this issue?
pbmr2

Re: rear brake pads - discontinued from Toyota now?

Post by pbmr2 »

Seems odd but there are lot of other pads out there. Have not used stock pads for years. The Pagid ones are fine, recently I found some nice custom fast road pads that are the best of both worlds.

OEM is nice and original, if you like that sort of thing, but it's not the only option so no need to panic.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

yeah I've managed to get some pads from TCB parts. I liked the stock pads as they had little dust and didnt fall apart in use. Will see how these go but might head towards pagid next time. What pads did you find?
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

My mind wants to say Chris Wilson? but I'll have to dig back through some emails and find out.

They are a custom compound by (insert name, maybe chris) aiming at fast road. They act like normal brake pads at normal speeds, put some heat into them and they turn into very grippy stoppers. Even in the ice at very low speeds they worked well.

Will try and find the email to confirm who it was. Think I found them through this forum.
pnelson

Post by pnelson »

I track mine on pagids and don't have any issues unless I stay out for 20 mins+ at which point they quickly become useless. They're more than adequate unless you're racing.

Can't say much about 'bite' as I've used them for years and can't remember what other pads feel like!
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

i've heard of chris wilson before re pads so will have a gander through the interweb. Pagid good name too, I dont track the car but single track roads can be tough on brakes even though speeds are not high (lots of braking and not a lot of air through wheels)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”