JDM Import Rev 2 Turbo - 5SGTE build

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rossonza
Premium Member

Re: JDM Import Rev 2 Turbo - Megasquirt install. Anti lag. 2 step.

Post by rossonza »

Rear trailing arms should be done this week. Good to have friends with access to machining tools etc.

Got a rough list now.

1. install custom clutch and brake lines (re doing them all) including braided clutch and brake softlines.
2. Install hks smic pipework
3. Put fluids in the car.
4. Fit exhaust.
5. Weld rear arch repairs in place (and refit rear bumper)
6. Refit the newly machined trailing arms (all polyd)
7. Fit new disks and pads
8. Start car / go for MOT

:thumleft:
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

not much progress, still haven't finished the welding on the rear arches.

attempted to make my clutch line yesterday, the tool ive gots awful and it kept making non square flares, and wasnt gripping the pipe correctly. Just ordered a more expensive tool off amazon which holds it differently and has good reviews.

also managed to do my HKS SMIC pipework, so thats one less thing. Oh and the HT leads.

noticed my coolant line didnt have a clamp on when working on my smic pipework so glad i noticed :S

going to finish the welding tonight as i cant do much until the new tool arrives.

my friend sent me updates on the arms:

said hes just got to weld the end on now :thumleft:
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Well i finished welding the drivers side rear arch area.

primered, painted, then waxoyld the welds/potential water pool areas. should be good for a few years now. :thumleft:

Also painted my strut brace from red to black (more in keeping with the bay colour scheme)

my new brake flaring tool has arrived at my amazon pickup place, So i'll be collecting that and re-attempting my brake/clutch line when i get home.

Also should finish the welding on the passenger rear arch as its not half as bad as my drivers side was.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

all the weldings done and its back on the floor, rear bumper was a paint to get back on by myself but managed it.

Builders were starting today (Monday) so i had a race to get the rear suspension all back together. got it done but it needs to come off again now ive moved the car to the other side of the drive (need to clean/paint the arms and fit my polys)

Still got brake lines to make up, and im trying to source some radiator plastic bleed screws as one of mines broken.

did some electrics work, fitted the older intercooler connector to my new HKS SMIC so its a direct plug into the loom, same with my new alloy radiator and fan setup. took the connectors off the old rad fans and soldered/shrink wrapped them all.

also put most of the interior back togther, so feeling more like a car again.

needs a bloody good clean and 2 new rear tyres. Also DPD have confirmed they've lost my disks and pads. so im delayed 3-5 whilst they do a parcel search.

](*,)
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

started making the brake lines and realised the fittings i had were the wrong size. correct ones should be here this week.

DPD finally delivered my disks and pads end of last week, not the best condition unfortunately. they've been "resealed with care" by DPD, whatever that means.

luckily only one of the pads was damaged (the ebay seller is replacing them) so i cant complain.

Gave the car a light clean to get the sap off and she does come up nice.

got to take the rear suspension arms back off, get them painted and poly's pressed. then the rear ends done :thumleft:

just need to paint the sill now so it looks a bit nicer before i apply stone chip.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

got my replacement pads from the eBay seller so im happy.

Removed the rear arms again to paint them and get the poly's pressed in:

Excuse the mess, weve got builders in at the moment doing our extension so i made the dining room into a painting booth :-)

did charcoal canister delete on the car, and looped this vac line:

Made all new hard lines for the rear brakes with new fittings:

fitted and bled my braided clutch line, However shes a bit leaky where it meets the slave cylinder. i presume im missing a copper washer for the weird adapter goodridge supplied with my new braided line:

going to my friends tonight to pickup the rear arms crush tubes, as my prothane crush tubes for the new arms i had made were under sleeved.

get to fit my new disk and pads too once the rear suspensions back on. then its fill with fluids, fit exhaust and attempt to start it. :thumleft:
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

So i got a few copper washers off a mate and put one in the clutch line, All sorted no more leaking:

popped my mate ians to get the rear arms all poly bushed as hes got a lovely press (this is his mk1 currently being turbo'd)

got my rear trailing arm cleaned up, painted and new adjustable drop links fitted:

removed from trailing arm and disks/calipers ready to be refurbed:

Also i got the engine started, just trying to track down the wiring for the starter motor under the dash (i removed an old immobiliser and its not getting 12v to the brown cable on the starter)

this weeks plan is to remove the remaining front arms, get them poly'd and painted then re-fit all the suspension components and its literally just little bits like re-fitting disks and pads then MOT :-)

rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Started re-assembling the rear end. didn't realise the rear sway bar was such a git to get back in (having to basically drop the sub-frame again)

Either way its back in, and the arms are all poly'd and attached again:

going to clean up and paint the exhaust heat shield, got some VHT spray paint. Also going my friends tomorrow to press the front poly'd into the arms.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

bit hard to see but undersides looking a bit nicer now. Exhaust partially fitted (don't seem to have the sub frame mounted exhaust bracket):

My friends got the old bushes out my front arms, popping his later to put the new polys in. then ill paint the arms tonight and reinstall Saturday:

oh here's the fuse that i was searching for, left is my new one (thanks again Chrisy666) and the old one on the right, someones bent the connections over to bridge it. scary:

hoping to get the fron arms back on then i can fit the new disks, refurbed calipers and new pads and finish wax oyling the car. still got front brake lines to make. but getting closer to MOT :thumleft:
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Well went my mates and pressed my new polys in the front arms:

Just need wire wheeling and painting

Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

You've been busy! :shock: Impressive work though :thumleft:

Do you have a target date for having it fully road ready again?
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Magic Beans wrote:You've been busy! :shock: Impressive work though :thumleft:

Do you have a target date for having it fully road ready again?

cheers mate, i had a target of 19th august, missed it sadly. im stuck trying to locate a front carrier and those small metal clips that hold the pads in the carriers. once ive got them sorted it can be put on the floor.

just a matter of re-wiring the rear lights and figuring out my ignition switch wiring. oh and new tyres, then its MOT.

ive been side tracked using my free time to work on the house (recently had an extension) so im hoping to get back to it and get the car mot'd ASAP. :thumleft:
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Well made some progress last night.

1. Got the rear lights all re-wired in. including fog and reverse / numberplate lights so im well happy.

2. traced where we think my ignition isnt working (posted another thread) so hoping to fix that soon.

Im still trying to track down the metal clips for the brake pads but my list to complete before MOT is shrinking by the day.

List to complete the build is

1. locate and fit metal brake pad clips
2. bleed brakes
3. fix ignition switch wiring issue
4. fit tyres to alloys
5. one front sidelight bulb

theres a few things like my fans constantly run after removing my air con, and only half my dash lights up at night (ive got some pink led's back lighting in it for some reason). also my electric mirror foldering/adjustment doesnt work.

but all of that can be done when the cars on the road. so excited for my first drive of an mr2 let alone a turbo one! :thumleft:
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

1. locate and fit metal brake pad clips
2. bleed brakes
3. fix ignition switch wiring issue - DONE
4. fit tyres to alloys
5. one front sidelight bulb

that's one off the list. Ended up running a new wire from the fusebox to the pin on the relay and she starts very quickly. will try to get a video on youtube. :thumleft:

https://youtu.be/33NGuDm0hHA

wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

IMpressive work there

well done

That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

wilkie senior wrote:IMpressive work there

well done

Cheers mate :thumleft:
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Well my mate just text. Found these whilst moving house.just picked them up for free. Need a light clean.

Man in dandism it says on them. Really plush carpet. These factory?

markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

yes they are oem.
Quite rare in good condition. Mine was really worn away so ended up being chucked when i first got my car.
mrhappy62

Post by mrhappy62 »

rare as f ck I have n/s I think the o/s was thrown by the dealer I bought the car off because the T-Bar was leaking and o/s was really wet !
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

good deal for free again then :thumleft:

there's a slight bit of wear on the drivers foot rest area, but everywhere else they look great.

Return to “Member Profiles”