'Champ White' Turbo Build

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

2mad

Re: 'Champ White' Turbo Build

Post by 2mad »

synXero wrote:Dave! Your video cruising down Col Du Tourmalet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmkBvGKm_5w

Definitely put it in 1080p - I spent long enough uploading it!!!

Looked proper cool .. mountain pass , dont want to fall off and tunnel.. wicked O:) :clap: :D

What turbo were you running .. seemed to pick up real well ..

looked alot of fun :thumleft:
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Wow.

Its been a good few years since ive posted here, in that time a little has changed, the aeroware has come off the front as i kept catching it on things and crawling around backstreets was starting to get to me a little. So thats off and has been replaced with the stock lip.

Also managed to grab a rev 5 spoiler at a great price, the rev 3 was replaced.

However ive hardly touched the car since last Summer, had a nice few drives out in her and got some great pictures, then car went away for Winter and I had other things going on and it just sat for a while.

Some pics before she went away:

And now, over four months later shes looking a little tatty and I admit I did zero prepping for winter, didnt even wash the car so theres work to be done.

Unfortunately confirming my suspicion. There's a leak, somewhere there's a leak.

So I came out to clean her up ready for summer and whilst hoovering inside I noticed the carpet behind the drivers seat was pretty wet. Having owned a couple of other old turbo Toyotas I knew what this meant and the cleaning was put on hold whilst this happened:

Now dont worry, thats not rust, its some of the left over sticky stuff on the underside of the factory sound deadening insulation pad, whilst I had the carpet up I removed it all as I wanted to see what state the floor under it was in.

Unfortunately confirming my suspicion. There's a leak, somewhere there's a leak.

All in all pretty good, only tiny, and I mean very small sections of surface rust but yea, very happy. However it has seen better days, and as I want the car to be complete, heres where im going to start.

The plan is going too be first treating the rusty patches, a quick rough up and paint using some black hammerite rust prevention and then sound deaden using a little flashing tape over where the factory pads would be.

Also whilst the carpet is out ill give that a good clean and replace the felt underpadding as it got wet on one side and would have take a million years dry out and the rest was old, flat and squished

Updates to come as soon as winter gets the hint..
:roll:
Last edited by l1ca on Sun May 20, 2018 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
synXero

Post by synXero »

Really glad to see you've still got this man. Yours was one of my favourite cars on that Le Mans trip a few years back.

Where abouts are you living? I'm in London these days. On the off chance you're here too we should meet up for a sesh some time!

Best of luck with the tidy up 8)
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

We've had some beautiful bank holidays and ive got stuck in. Since the carpet is out and wont be going back in for a while I thought now's a great time to strip more of the interior out and restore that best I could.

Theres a whole host of various shiny interior pictures which I wont bore you with, however they are all clean and put away.

Carefully removed the wind deflectors too, tense 20 or so minutes that one. Cold fingers, 3M double sided tape that had been on a while so its like concrete, a razor blade, fingers on one side, car on the other with a very tough to replace part in the middle! Managed to get them off without much drama, just take your time and concentrate. Took the remainder of the gunk off and then off for a little cutting down, polish and storage until much later.

Wish id have taken more pictures of these now, they came up really well, and weird fact, they have a bronze tinge to them, wonder if this is something with the jdm windscreens having a bronze tinge to them too and the wind deflectors being a jdm only accessory? If so thats some pretty nice attention to detail on Toyotas parts.

Yea, ill have to dig these back out and take some more close u photos, its not a part that's shown off very often, one of those weird Japanese only parts and only a few made it over. Thinking of which, I wonder how many are out there, on cars, right now. I've been to quite a few big shows, all with a decent MR2 turnout and I dont think ive seen another car with any? Cant be that rare surely?

Id have just thought these weird rare parts like these would have by now naturally gravitated towards cars clubs like this one and the types of people who inhabit them? Still, never seen another set. :-k

If memory serves I think there's some tiny Japanese characters on the side, looks cool af to me, but its probably just be some boring regulation stuff. Ill see if I can get some closeups, it'd be interesting to find out just what they mean.

Then worked my way around the back:

Rear lights and centre panel removed, broke the centre panel down and its reverse lighting unit down into as many parts as I could with the intentions of cleaning it up as best I could repairing any scuffs and abrasions its accumulated over the last few years and to give the

with the intention of giving the lights a refurb, break down the centre panel, give it a real good wash down, repair any bits of paint, claybar and a wax and to clean up and refub the reverse light units.

Turned out pretty well,especially the lights after a combination of wet and dry, g3 and varying levels of plastic polish they look almost new!

Last edited by l1ca on Mon May 28, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

Looking good :thumleft:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

WAWWWW.. didn't think you were around with the Mr2 anymore! :D
J-1

Post by J-1 »

Gullzter wrote:WAWWWW.. didn't think you were around with the Mr2 anymore! :D

Just thinking the same thing.

Car is awesome. :mrgreen:
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Right, well I continued the disassembly of the rear, I wanted to have a real good look behind the lights, the rear bumper and perform some maintenance I knew was looming but had been putting off for a while.

Whilst I could have started at either end, the way the car was parked on the drive way, the rear was easier to access and work around than the front. Now I have a point to literally work forward from, boxing off sections of the car at a time.

So firstly the rear bumper, spoiler, boot lid and engine bay lid, inspection panels and side strips were all removed, disassembled, cleaned, polished and put into storage and out of the way so I can figure out what im dealing with.

The first thing I wanted to do was check out all the metal behind the rear bumper, its a pretty well covered area and thats precisely why I needed to look. If there was a problem then it could have grown and spread and become much more of a nightmare to deal with in years to come.

But, for the most part it was absolutely fine, needed a clean up and a few small rust dots nailing which was done but for the most part not much was going on behind there.

Roughed up, stripped of as much paint and what not I could, applied hammerite Krust to combat the infection and then painted over, again with some hammerite "straight to rust paint"

Leaving me with this:

PS: I know ive ive supposedly removed the boot lid and spoiler and what not by now, but all the following is a summary of the last 12 weeks, and im trying to pull it all together in as best way I can using the pictures Ive taken to make the story easy to follow.

At times it may be a bit janky, bare with me, and once ive caught up it'll flow much better.

Now I knew by this point and the amount of panels removed that the car wouldn't be moving for some time. I knew the areas i wanted to work on, and it made real sense to get the wheels off, and the car up on axle stands.

And with me being of the "wheel whore" variety, Im not going to pass up on this opportunity to whore out some pics of my wheels, cleaned up, waxed and put away for the time being.

Damn, the garden needs a right good culling doesnt it! Makes for some awesome pictures though, but I can only do one thing at a time and since this is a car club, cars first. :whistle: :lol:
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Once it was up in the air the inside of the boot was where I wanted to start, so I fully dismantled the area, that means the hinges, boot carpet, ECU and all wiring was removed where i could with only the ECU to make its way back in.

There were a few small patches of surface rust I wanted to treat but overall a unsightly aspect of what im trying to achieve with this car and wanted to sort it out.

Unfortunately, i also started finding some rather....questionable wiring, not sure who has done this, but i know im the one left to sort.

One starting in the cabin and feeding back through a huge length of wiring to the rear:

And this second one, seems to be the speed sensor wiring, spliced into and then looped around into the actual sensor on the front of the engine / gearbox(??) itself. Completely bypassing the shorter engine loom.

So all that was cut out to come back around to in the future.

There was also this purple wire which was cut, im not sure what this is for, im yet to work it out, another job for future me, any one have any ideas?
Its located on the same batch of plug wires that the speed sensor is part of, really could do with an electrical guide before I mess with this.

There was also this, it was on the tail light wiring, and im guessing it was for the dual brake light mod. But this work is far too messy for me. So thats all been cut out, ready to be tidied up in the future.

Also the boot has let some water in, i think its come up gradually through the holes left from the standard exhaust mountings leaving small, but open holes. (these will be patched up later)

Once all wiring, ECU and any water had been removed, I set about repairing and refreshing the inner boot. Once done recovered entirely in hammerite satin black paint.

Looking much better!
Last edited by l1ca on Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Moving under the car and having a poke around, there was no visible signs of rust, infact the rubber sealant stuff that Toyota put on her has held up pretty damn well. Although it is looking a little tired so the exhaust heat shield came off for a paint too, and after a bit of cleaning I covered the underside in black hammerite. After a few coats of that i topped off with some underbody stone chip protector.

Looking all tired.

And after half an hour with some spray cans and some music

Once that was done I just gave the whole area a bit of a wipe down and take advantage of my engine lid not being there and get behind it.

craig

Post by craig »

Top effort mate, looking good :thumleft:
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

:D
Last edited by l1ca on Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

:D

Return to “Member Profiles”