[Mk2] [Turbo] One headlight won't pop up

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

DaveWS

[Mk2] [Turbo] One headlight won't pop up

Post by DaveWS »

Hi all, one of my headlights has stopped popping up. For a while it would intermittently work, but now it no longer moves at all (drivers side). I disconnected both motor units, and I've tested the drivers side motor on the nearside, and the motor unit works fine, so it's not that. I've tested the connectors to ground and that's fine, but I don't really know what I'm doing beyond that (I have a multi-meter). Any ideas? Thanks
mr2garageswindon

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] One headlight won't pop up

Post by mr2garageswindon »

Control box has given up most likely.
Blue (i think) box on rhs when looking into frunk.
Pop it open and have a look or borrow a spare to test it.
DaveWS

Post by DaveWS »

Thanks for the tip. I've isolated the problem to a broken connection between pin 5 of the blue box connector and pin 2 of the motor connector, the green wire. I'd guess it's extremely unlikely the wire itself would fail, so I'm assuming it's the contact in one of the two connectors. I guess the only option is to strip away a bit of wire insulation to verify which one.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Had a few control boxes die over the years, the celica ones are the same if you are looking second hand. Might even have one on a shelf somewhere, will have a look for you.

Don't 100% rule out a broken wire, had a couple snap inside the plastic coating. they go between the chassis and the headlight, because the wire moves. bit like the door wires going the same way.

Not had the motor wires snap yet but the bulb ones have gone a couple of times over the years/cars.

Return to “Electrical”