Sideskirt rubber seal fitting

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tellso

Sideskirt rubber seal fitting

Post by Tellso »

Hi all,
Ive purchsed a new set to replaced the brittle old shrunken ones.

Any tips on how to fit? I saw a set for sale in the US that came with loctite. Should I be using some kind of glue? I feel like it should be a simple job but I just couldnt get my head around it!

Thanks in advance peeps :-)
monkeymax

Re: Sideskirt rubber seal fitting

Post by monkeymax »

The simple answer is yes, use glue to secure it in place and make sure you get it up to the ends so it doesn't flap while driving. I can't remember what glue I used though (and photos & documents for my car are a long way away!) but I'm pretty sure something like Loctite or Gorilla glue should work well. Make sure you get it right though as it won't be easy to get off again! It's probably also worth sanding down the top part of the skirts before applying the glue as well, just to give a nicely keyed surface. Measure up and test before applying glue - remember, measure twice, cut once!
(Oh, it's simple but fiddly. If you can get another pair of hands to help, it'll make a massive difference!)
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

Tiger seal :thumleft:
Tellso

Post by Tellso »

Cheers guys. So would you glue both sides? Or just onto the top of the skirt? :oops:
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

rev2rich wrote:Tiger seal :thumleft:

Oh yeah, that's actually a good shout.

Tellso, what do you mean by both sides? Do you mean apply glue to both skirt and rubber seal? If so, depends what the glue instructions recommend (yep, probably worth reading them! :lol: ). Some need applying to both mating surfaces and leaving for a minute before joining.

Or are you asking if the seal goes top and bottom of the skirt? If so, top only, and down the ends.
Tellso

Post by Tellso »

Sorry, meant stick it to the sideskirt and to the body of the car? I think I will do both :thumleft:🏼 Cheers all
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

Tellso wrote:Sorry, meant stick it to the sideskirt and to the body of the car? I think I will do both :thumleft:🏼 Cheers all

Ah! In which case - No... Just to the top of the side skirt. The side skirt bolts onto the car; gluing the seal to the car means when you have to take the skirts off, the paint will come with it.

You really should be removing the side skirts from the car to do this job anyway. It's only something like 5 bolts a side and a couple of screws. Of course, they're under the car and are mild steel so prone to rusting and shearing off, so I suggest spraying them with something to free off bolts the night before (I tend to spray copious amounts of shock and unlock) and then again before trying to remove (possibly also some lubricating spray at this point) to avoid shearing bolts.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”