Valve Clearances

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

Valve Clearances

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Hi all,

I've just started the grueling task of doing the valve clearances on my rebuilt head. I've got 7 out of 8 all within 0.15-0.25 on the inlet, with the one out of tolerance at 0.09...

I'm going to do the exhaust side tonight. I'm hoping that I have the same issue on the exhaust side, so I can simply swap the shims over to bring them into tolerance.

0.09mm really is not enough gap is it?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Valve Clearances

Post by Lauren »

Do them to the correct tolerance. Yes you can swop the shims around. A bit easier to have a spare set marked up though.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Lauren wrote:Do them to the correct tolerance. Yes you can swop the shims around. A bit easier to have a spare set marked up though.

Speaking of which, I think you still have my spares. Any chance you can bring them to Blyton this weekend?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

kaiowas wrote:
Speaking of which, I think you still have my spares. Any chance you can bring them to Blyton this weekend?

Mark said he kind of remembers having something. But he thinks they went to someone else. Mark will have a look as really they are no use to us if we do actually have them. So yes, if we have them happy to return them. I really don't remember. We had that old engine off you, Tom did all the work in rebuilding it. I can't remember/don't know whether we went through a mix of the three heads or so we had lying around and corresponding shims to get the clearances for my rebuilt engine. I know Tom measured them all and marked them all up.

Will see what Mark can find. :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I've had a cam cap bolt snap inside the head now!

It snapped when removing it strangely!

I've got 5mm sticking out of the top and do not want to weld a nut onto it to cause distortion to the head.

Aside from drilling out, any ideas?

Cheers

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”