Brake bleeding problem.

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Karl_T

Brake bleeding problem.

Post by Karl_T »

Having difficulties. Fitting lots of refurbed calipers.

Have done 5 brakes AOK over the last fortnight, so I don't think its technique. Two man job, one on peddle one on nipple. No vacuum or auto bleeder.

Trying to bleed this last front brake (number 6), and pumping away for ages but getting nothing through the tube on the bleed nipple. In the end gave up and took it off. Nothing seemed blocked, all looks OK, and there was some fluid in the piston. So, thought we may have given up too soon and put it back on. Tried again and eventually got some bubbly fluid to appear and move maybe 1/2 inch into the tube but It appears to suck back even when you close the nipple.

On the passenger side it pushed a good 6-8 inches down the pipe with each pump, and only took maybe four strokes to get to fluid. This one is barely pushing the fluid an inch, which I don't get, and seems to be drawing back even after you close the nipple.

Can't think what might be causing both issues. I suspect the bleed screw seat is leaking, but why no push? And the caliper looks OK.

Any ideas? Suggestions for ruling things out?

Karl
Red ones go faster......
tottacrolla

Re: Brake bleeding problem.

Post by tottacrolla »

Check that the flexible hose has not deteriorated and is blocked, especially given the comments on your other post about the caliper sticking.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”