Door rub strips JDM vs UK

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bungral

Door rub strips JDM vs UK

Post by bungral »

I’m in the market for a passenger door for my rev 3 turbo and believe that on the UK doors, the strip that runs along them sits more proud.

Is it the trim that’s actually thicker on the UK door or the gap they sit in shallower?

Just wondering if I could take the strip off my door and put it on a uk door as it’s open the market on a decent door up a fair bit!
Draven

Re: Door rub strips JDM vs UK

Post by Draven »

From my understanding the rub strip is exactly the same on both JDM and UK cars. The doors are exactly the same.
craig

Post by craig »

UK and JDM rub strips are different. UK sit proud, and the JDM ones are more flush.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

craig wrote:UK and JDM rub strips are different. UK sit proud, and the JDM ones are more flush.

Correct answer. Same applies to the strip on the front wing before the wheel arch.
bungral

Post by bungral »

craig wrote:UK and JDM rub strips are different. UK sit proud, and the JDM ones are more flush.

Gazza_DJ wrote:

Correct answer. Same applies to the strip on the front wing before the wheel arch.

Cheers for the replies but do you happen to know the answer to my original question regarding if it’s the strips being thicker on the UK doors or the difference is on the actual door?

Craig, your reply makes me think the actual strip is the difference so I could transplant my thinner strip to a uk door but I just want to make sure.

Also I understand those strips are just stuck on the door. Any experience of removing these strips?

Cheers.
Draven

Post by Draven »

You know, I never knew that.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

bungral wrote:

Gazza_DJ wrote:

Cheers for the replies but do you happen to know the answer to my original question regarding if it’s the strips being thicker on the UK doors or the difference is on the actual door?

Craig, your reply makes me think the actual strip is the difference so I could transplant my thinner strip to a uk door but I just want to make sure.

Also I understand those strips are just stuck on the door. Any experience of removing these strips?

Cheers.

I can't fully clear up you query but it is my belief that the door itself is the same.
Also to remove the door strip take a length of fishing line and wrap either end around a handle of some sort. Then use it to slice the double sided tape using a sawing motion. Start at the rear end and work to the front. About 2 or 3 inches from the front end there is a nub that seats in a hole in the door so be wary of not cutting that. It will also help if you heat the area a lot with a hair dryer to soften the glue and the strip. If you bend the strip slightly you can pay it on a flat surface in the sun for a few hours and it will flatten.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”