[FINALIZED] 3VZ-FE MK2 For sale

MR2s for sale - all versions & variants

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Craig_'2

3VZ-FE MK2 For sale

Post by Craig_'2 »

The time has come to sell my MK2 V6. I have only had this car since August last year. It was bought as a bit of summer fun/project but mostly to experience what the V6 is all about, my first one after 2 N/A's and a Turbo.

Photos on my eBay Ad:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2864666864

The reason for the sale is genuine. I simply won't get round to using this car as it should be used and would rather pass it on for someone to enjoy. I have another MK2 MR2 which is already my weekend toy in addition to a daily.

Short clip of the car through a tunnel, epic noise!: https://youtu.be/lvVlkCip5fg

Main details:

Black 1990 Rev 1 T-bar shell with 138K KM / 86K miles
MOT until August 2018
Part service history

Full spec list:

3VZ-FE Engine
Turbo LSD gearbox
Turbo clutch
Cone filter
Turbo Mongoose Exhaust  Straight through
Sparco NS2 wheels 17x8 & 17x9 ET32
BC Racing Coilovers
Rev 2+ brakes all round
Braided brake lines
Yellow fog lights
Smoked indicators
Rev 3+ rear lights
3rd brake light
Turbo engine lid
Full cloth interior in great condition
Black headlining & T-bar shades
Alpine single din headunit
Sparco deep dish steering wheel
Single din cupholders (a God send in an MR2!)
Type R gear knob (no idea why but its nice to use!)
Retractable mirrors
Toad alarm
Man in Dandism floor mats

The windscreen even has the last MOT / Shaken sticker from when the car was in Japan!

The mileage on the engine is unknown, as is the date of the swap. There are receipts dating back to circa 2010 where parts such as 3VZ specific spark plugs were bought, leading me to believe the engine has been in there for at least 8-10 years now. This would make sense as V6 swaps were starting to become popular in the UK around that time. I cannot find any history for the cambelt.

Service history is limited. The most recent history before my ownership is from xxxx in 2015 for all manner of items. The BC coilovers were fitted at this time, as was the LSD turbo gearbox. The driveshafts were rebuilt at the same time. There were also numerous other items that were replaced as well, with the bill being well over £3000. On viewing the MOT history online, this would have all been done with the last 5-6k miles when looking at the date this work was done.

Just for information, the car still has its original 110mph/180KM/H clocks and records mileage in KMs, not miles. The MOT history is showing as miles but this is incorrect. I only realised this when my usual commute had somehow grown by 35 miles a week!

Since buying the car it has had the following:

New rear tyres - Kuhmo Ecsta KU39 235/40/17
4 wheel alignment
New exhaust Flexi
Rev 3+ rear lights
Brand new discs and pads all round & fresh 5.1 fluid (not even used and still need bedding in!)
New rear driver side caliper
New front driver side caliper
Rear of the driver's sill had a bit of rust which was cut out and plated, a very good job that you wouldn't even know!
Both sills had stone chip applied and painted body colour to refresh & protect them.

Points of note - the car is not perfect and is 27 years old now.

The paint work does show its age. There are various scratches and marks around the car, I can supply detailed up close photos on request.

There is the usual bubbling on the rear spoiler, some marks on the rear bumper which have gone down to the bumper skin and some bubbling on the front drivers wing. I have a spare unpainted wing which can be supplied if needed.

The wheels have a few stone chips on the lips and a bit of paint flaking in the centres, mainly around the wheel nuts. A refurb wouldn't go a miss but they are in reasonable shape and still look good in person.

Front tyres are going to need to be replaced soon as they're getting close to the wear bars, at a guess they're around 2-2.5mm.

There is no aerial so no radio as such, the headunit does have an Aux input however. I just used to use my phone mounted on the air vent.

Final point relates to the engine. It has been noticed that when coasting off throttle for a period of time in gear (such as going down a reasonable hill) that there is a little bit of blue smoke. Once stopped and pulled away again it clears.

The car had been sat for around 2 years when I bought it and as a result I believe the valve stem seals may have gone a bit hard over this time allowing a little oil to be burnt when coasting off throttle. There is no smoke at idle and no smoke on throttle. The engine runs spot on, the oil is very clean, it's very smooth and pulls strongly in any gear. For me it caused no issues other than checking the oil level regularly and the occasional small top up if needed.

The noise of the exhaust is intoxicating whether you have the roof off or the windows down and it brings out your inner 9 year old! All you'll want to do is keep going through tunnels! I can't say I've heard a V6 MR2 sound quite like this one.

Whilst it is a loud car it can be driven quietly and is surprisingly quiet at motorway speeds, with only a hint of noise until you ask for more.

Whilst I mentioned the paint work as being tired, it can be polished up quite nicely and still has a good shine overall. The shell is in good shape and is solid with plenty of life left.

One of the best parts of this car is the interior. The seats are in great shape and still very comfortable for long journeys, the dash, door cards ect are in great condition too.

I've tried to be as honest as possible, other than the minor points above, this car is brilliant and is certainly a car to enjoy and experience in the nicer weather with the roof off. The sound and feeling of torque in any gear makes it a real pleasure to drive.

The price? £2795 ONO
Red Devil

Re: [FINALIZED] 3VZ-FE MK2 For sale

Post by Red Devil »

GLWS Craig. :thumleft:

One of my favourite V6 soundtrack vids.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_PkswoXMx0
Wayne was one of Paul W's early customers.
We did several runs together back in the day.
The pub where the vid starts used to be one of my regular watering holes. :)
Craig_'2

Post by Craig_'2 »

Deposit taken.
Feedback Bot

Post by Feedback Bot »

This Sale has been completed. The Buyer was Non-Member

Return to “MR2s for Sale”