www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
[Mk2] [NA] Spark plug leads

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Mechanical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy Champ

Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: [Mk2] [NA] Spark plug leads Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

... only had the car 15 years, and never done it [Embarassed] (professionally serviced) but I've got a wet-linked misfire. I thought I'd pull the plugs and have a look - but I can't get the damn leads off. What's the knack?
alanmr2turbo

Feedback Score: 10

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

pull off spark plug, bend clip slightly and pull from dizzy cap.
abovetherim

Feedback Score: 5

1991 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Great that you are trying some work yourself but.....
It may just be the leads but it is more likely to be a cracked coil pack or the earth for the coil pack wait earth's through the mounting bracket to the body.

As for the leads you may need to twist back and forth a little as the boot part that sits over the ceramic of the plug will be stuck if not been off for time.

Edit
I should add that if you pull off the coil pack to inspect and find it is cracked you can dry it out with a hair dryer then fill the cracks with rtv silicone as a short term fix whilst you order a new one.
When replacing be prepared for the screws that hold the coil to the bracket to be rusted solid and need drilling off. Can't remember the size but if you do a search with my username and coil pack you might find a little write up I did.
Andy Champ

Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Thanks. It's the plug end of the leads.
Many moons ago I used to do all my own servicing, but an old-style Mini was (a) easier (b) needed doing more often (c) I had less money and more time... I once took a head off a Micra to sort out it burning oil, but it's all a while ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Mechanical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: