[Mk2] [Turbo] lithium battery jump starter ? advice/opinions pls

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

[email protected]

[Mk2] [Turbo] lithium battery jump starter ? advice/opinions pls

Post by [email protected] »

Seeking advice about either batteryless jump starters or lithium jump starters.
I have the standard 12v lead acid type,which is ok but seems to always be at home, on charge or not charged in boot..!
Saw today one of those mini jump packs, not much bigger than an iphone,which claims to start cars up to 4ltr and diesel up to 2.5ltr.
On paper those and the ultra capacity type are cheaper,longer lasting,retain charge for 6 month blah,blah,blah..
But are they ?? bull$h1t or buy one ?
Anyone had or got one? opinions pls.
y_chromosome

Lithium Ion Battery Packs

Post by y_chromosome »

I know this topic is almost a year old, but I'm going to post an answer in case others in the future have this question.

I have one of those jump start packs, a BASSTOP 16800mah unit good for 800A, and it's amazing. It's strong enough to jump start the 5.7 liter V8 in my daily driver without blinking. It's also started my BMW 335i, and numerous stranger's cars and trucks over the past year I've been using it. It's nice being able to offer a jump start to a stranger with a dead battery without fear that I'll be stuck there for thirty minutes revving my engine while their feeble battery tries its best to recharge enough to do the job. Now, I hook the jumper pack to their battery, they immediately crank their engine, and I feel like a hero!

Most of the packs have a built-in flashlight. That seemed pretty pointless until our power went out. I stood it on the living room table, shining up at the ceiling, where it served as the main source of illumination for a couple of days. It wasn't blindingly bright in there, but there was enough light get around without tripping over something. The USB charging ports came in handy to recharge our cell phones a couple of times, too.

And did I mention that the lithium pack comes with a bunch of additional power adapter tips that will charge a number of different devices? I used it to recharge a handheld camera on a photo shoot, once.

These things are tremendously handy, and are worth your money. In fact, they're so useful that I bought one for each of my siblings and cousins last year for Christmas. I've seen reviews on Youtube showing cheap packs swelling or even catching on fire, so buy the heaviest duty pack you can afford. It's worth the money!

Return to “Electrical”