1994 MR2 GT turbo T-bar

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pistol pete

Re: 1994 MR2 GT turbo T-bar

Post by pistol pete »

good man.. i hate blanks on the dash... :)
half leathers.... :oldtongue:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

craig wrote:Tiny update :mrgreen:

I decided that because I don't smoke, I'd get a cigarette lighter dust cap to keep the new socket clean and free of crap. Introducing a genuine Audi cigarette lighter blank:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote https://i.imgur.com/dDD14J5.jpg

Sand it back and get rid of the lettering :mrgreen:
craig

Post by craig »

pistol pete wrote:good man.. i hate blanks on the dash... :)
half leathers.... :oldtongue:

Cheers mate :thumleft:

No half leathers!!

Magic Beans wrote:
craig wrote:Tiny update :mrgreen:

I decided that because I don't smoke, I'd get a cigarette lighter dust cap to keep the new socket clean and free of crap. Introducing a genuine Audi cigarette lighter blank:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote https://i.imgur.com/dDD14J5.jpg

Sand it back and get rid of the lettering :mrgreen:

No :mrgreen:
craig

Post by craig »

Time for a slight update. My Stack oil temp gauge stopped working. I found if I wiggled the plug at the sender, it started working again.

So, rear wheel off, car up on axle stands, I disconnected the plug and scraped the contact points clean and followed up with contact cleaner. All nice and shiny contacts and a clean plug. I left it disconnected to dry out.

Once reconnected and car back together, I took it out for a test run. Thought all was good, oil temp rising on the gauge....

...but then it stopped at 65 degrees and wouldn't go higher than that on an hours drive! Then it dropped to 59 degrees while still on the same drive.

I'm putting it down to a dodgy sender unit.

So with the oil temp out of action, I thought I don't really look at the other 2 gauges, and think the cabin would look better without them.

So, dash panels off, I disconnected the gauges and refitted the stock Toyota blank plate under the stereo.

For now the wiring for the gauges is just insulated and tie wrapped up behind the dash. I'll remove it at some point in the future and remove the oil filter sandwich plate when I next change the oil.

Interior looking much cleaner:

I love oem! :D

And a quick pic from my test run out. Probably going to be hibernation time for the car soon, as the weather gets worse towards winter.

I'm on the look out for a factory rev 2+ front lip too, and a pair of front under trays as my next project.

TTFN :salut:
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Hi Craig,

Hope your keeping well?

It is getting to that time for winter hibernation.

Cheers

James.
craig

Post by craig »

Madabout wrote:Hi Craig,

Hope your keeping well?

It is getting to that time for winter hibernation.

Cheers

James.

Hey James,

Keeping well thanks mate! It appears I couldn't just shove all the wiring behind the dash, so am now attempting to locate the problem with the oil temp gauge.

Dash panels back off...... :lol:

Trying to get the car out when I can, get as much use out of it before putting it away over winter :thumleft:

I may have also sourced a stock front lip, TBC.

Craig
Tareim

Post by Tareim »

that's quite the transformation you've done going from a breakers parts car to what you've got now :thumleft:

craig wrote:
And a quick pic from my test run out. Probably going to be hibernation time for the car soon, as the weather gets worse towards winter.

funny how you say yours is going to hibernation, I've just bought one for winter use so I can take my vx220 off the road for winter :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

Tareim wrote:that's quite the transformation you've done going from a breakers parts car to what you've got now :thumleft:

craig wrote:

funny how you say yours is going to hibernation, I've just bought one for winter use so I can take my vx220 off the road for winter :lol:

Cheers buddy! :thumleft:

VX220 eh, nice, is it a turbo? 8)

My car was pictured (along with everyone elses!) on entry to JAE 2017. Nice to see a rolling shot of me driving! This has to be my favourite pic of the car so far, and I feel, in it's best guise. Stock bodywork with the deeper Aeroware front PU lip.

:thumleft:
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Awesome photo that mate, I really like it! 8)

craig wrote:My car was pictured (along with everyone elses!)

All except my Evo Image

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
Tareim

Post by Tareim »

craig wrote:

nah just the n/a, still bloody quick though
craig

Post by craig »

JAAASH wrote:Awesome photo that mate, I really like it! 8)

craig wrote:My car was pictured (along with everyone elses!)

All except my Evo Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://emoticons.datahamster.com/bawling.gif

Cheers mate!

Wonder if the photographer was busy paying a call when you rocked up? :-k

Tareim wrote:
craig wrote:

nah just the n/a, still bloody quick though

I bet! Weigh bu88er all!! :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Worth every penny that photo :whistle: :mrgreen:
ads

Post by ads »

Why the change to stock front lip?
craig

Post by craig »

Magic Beans wrote:Worth every penny that photo :whistle: :mrgreen:

Certainly was! :wink: :mrgreen:

ads wrote:Why the change to stock front lip?

I'm not changing it now, keeping the Aeroware after seeing the pic above! :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Well, it's been a while since an update, and although I sold the MR2 a while ago now, I still remain on the forums. Well I have been an IMOC member since 2002! :)

Originally I bought this as a second car to keep the wintery crap off the MR2:

2003 MK4 Golf GTi 2.0. Not worthy of a GTi badge by any stretch of the imagination:

2.0 8V, 115 bhp and 0-60 = 10.5s :mrgreen:

I sold the MR2 early on in the year, and have been left with the golf since then. And, as a means of transport only, I couldn't fault it. Rust free, well built and a great runner. :thumleft:

However, I craved a quick car again, and became addicted to Auto Trader :lol:

pistol pete on here would be able to give testament to my indecisiveness on my next car!

The potentials:

1. Impreza WRX
2. Focus ST
3. Golf MK5 GTi
4. Golf R32
5. EP3 Civic Type R
6. BMW E90 335i
7. E46 BMW M3

After splitting up with the girlfriend of nearly 11 years, sports cars were out as an option, as I wanted one car that did the lot, usable and practical for day to day use and a bit of poke for a weekend blast when in the mood.

Well, the weekend just gone, I went to have a look at a face lift 2005 Cosmic Grey EP3 Civic Type R.

I was always a bit weary of the Civic, as VTEC is high in the rev range aka 'the scream machine' :lol:

1 owner from new, full service history and rust free. Took it out for a test drive and that was it, quick enough outside of VTEC, but awesome in it!

Got back to the garage and part exchanged the Golf and drove home in the Type R.

And here she is:

So far, gave it a wash/wax and did a bit of work on the exhaust. Doubt it'd been cleaned since the car was new! Needed 800 grit wet and dry and metal polish. It's come up alright though:

Only a few things I want to do to it:

1. Touch in a few scratches and the 'R' part of the badge on the tailgate which is missing a bit of paint. Already ordered touch up brush pots.

2. Different cat back exhaust and a K&N panel filter.

3. The factory Type R mats have been replaced with some cheap efforts. I've ordered a set of brand new, genuine mats with retaining clip (which is also currently missing).

4. Clean up the engine bay.

And that's it really, aside from those few things, just enjoy it. :thumleft:
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Ive been umming and aahing over a ep3 for a while.
Just something about them makes me want to scratch that itch!

How doesnit compare to the mr2? If i remember rightly wasnt your turbo pretty standard in the engine department?
Ben

Post by Ben »

Nice 8)

(get it out on track!)
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Draven

Post by Draven »

Looks awesome dude, V-Tec gets addictive. :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

markstevieandmads wrote:Ive been umming and aahing over a ep3 for a while.
Just something about them makes me want to scratch that itch!

How doesnit compare to the mr2? If i remember rightly wasnt your turbo pretty standard in the engine department?

They're great cars! Can't really compare it with the MR2 as the MR2 had that turbo punch low down the rev range, where as this is an na with power at the top end. It's still pretty quick, but it's awesome in vtec :twisted:

MR2 was relatively standard engine wise - Forged pistons, power FC, 1.2 bar, exhaust and induction kit.

Ben wrote:Nice 8)

(get it out on track!)

Cheers mate, never been a fan of track days really, prefer a B road blast. Plus I need to sort the tyres out, plenty of tread, but they're all crap makes and mismatched tyres across the back axle :roll:

Draven wrote:Looks awesome dude, V-Tec gets addictive. :thumleft:

Thanks man, your type R is rather tasty too, and yes, vtec does get addictive! :mrgreen:
Draven

Post by Draven »

One thing i'd say check your oil very regularly. they do use a fair amount of oil when you vtec

Return to “Member Profiles”