David's Mitsubishi Evo 6 Import

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: David's Mitsubishi Evo 6 Import

Post by Martin F »

I wouldn't even put it in the garage at this stage David, there could be nothing wrong. Those bits you are seeing in the oil could have been there from previous work or even something little like a slightly threaded sump bolt. It is a 20 year old car after all, you stress and jump to worst case scenarios far to easily when there may be no need.
Worst case i would listen to the above advice and do another oil change in a few hundred miles to see what's what.

Do you trust the garage as well Btw ? , all to easy for them to see your concerns and make money when there is nothing wrong. 8-[
Draven

Post by Draven »

I do have a habit of getting worried about these things. I'm concerned through if I do another couple of 100 miles and it turns out there was a major issue I'd be just making it worse.
Draven

Post by Draven »

I have done quite a bit of research, basically the tapping noise that I can hear is most probably the lifters but as I can't say 100% I've removed the cam cover and pry'ed the rockers off and removed half of the hydraulic lifters (tappets) i'll need to move the cams to get at the other side.

However as expected all of the lifters are ceased. after a little coaxing and sticking a 2mm drill bit (clean) in the end I have managed to loosen up the action on all of them. Just need to put them in oil and re-install.

Hopefully that will resolve the tapping. I'm going to do a couple of 100 miles then drop the oil again and see what is what.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Did you keep the old oil filter when you dropped the oil you found contamination in? If so cut it open (being very careful not to contaminate it!) and pull the element out- if you have chunks of metal floating about your oil system you will find the majority in here...if it's clean, then stop worrying and go enjoy your lovely car :thumleft:
Draven

Post by Draven »

ashley wrote:Did you keep the old oil filter when you dropped the oil you found contamination in? If so cut it open (being very careful not to contaminate it!) and pull the element out- if you have chunks of metal floating about your oil system you will find the majority in here...if it's clean, then stop worrying and go enjoy your lovely car :thumleft:

I'm afraid I threw it in the bin before I saw the flecks in the oil.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Put all of the lifters back in after cleaning them completely in paraffin, They were all ceased apart from one. They made a lot of noise for a short while went for a quick drive around the block. Then not a peep the tapping has completely gone car is ticking over perfectly now no tapping or noises at all. I even let it sit for a couple of hours and then went out and started it again. No tapping at all. :thumleft: finally something gone right.

I've ordered another tub of oil. So i can drop the oil I recently changed. That's my next job once I've got that second change of the oil.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Good news! :)
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
craig

Post by craig »

Good stuff mate :thumleft:
Draven

Post by Draven »

So not much to report, basically fixed a common fault with the Evo due to the vent in the bonnet water runs in (not that in my ownership the car has ever seen rain) It just pours in straight off the heat shield and onto the the Actuator which then rusts up and stops opening. So i set about replacing that Which was a nightmare.

The bolts that hold it on were stuck solid I ended up taking the head off one of the bolts which meant that the whole turbo assembly had to come out in order to remove the the remains of the bolt from the hole.

Now I've had a fair few studs strip in my time working on cars so I generally clean the threads as best I can with wire brush and then soak liberally with oil.

But even undoing a little bit and doing back up a little bit wasn't working the stud was getting so hot as I was undoing it. Long story short both threads fecked. So I set about removing the studs not matter how hot I got them with a blow torch they wouldn't budge. In the end I gave in and took it to a garage. It took them 2 hours and in the end they had to drill the buggers out.

Nothing is EVER simple.
Draven

Post by Draven »

I was at Japfest, I didn't take many pictures though was really enjoying myself.

shane34
Premium Member

Post by shane34 »

Lovely car, how did the oil issue pan out?

What power was this car running?
Draven

Post by Draven »

Wow holy thread revival. The car sold about a year ago. it was running 340ish. The oil pan situation was an odd on. I did several oil changes after and there was no noticeable flecks in the oil.

Still can't explain it. The current owner is still driving the car no issues at all.

I regret selling this car.
Buster

Post by Buster »

Still the best car I have ever owned, been in or driven.

I had an EVO 5 years ago and spent 50K on it, fully caged and had every possible worthwhile mod on it possible.

The car could do everything and then some, doddle about to the shops and ridicule supercars with ease, I miss that car every day and only sold it because I really needed the cash.

As far as i know it's still on the MLR and is on its second forged build.

Silver, window tints, full cage with diagonal, miss that car sooo much.
Rev5GT

Post by Rev5GT »

Love the Evo 5/6 not keen on later ones [unless its a grey 8MR].

I imported my 6 a couple of years ago but not done much with it unfortunately. Hopefully get it out this summer.

Draven

Post by Draven »

I'm jealous, i want to get my DC5 sold and buy another 6 :)
Draven

Post by Draven »

Possibly another 6 ....

:evil:

stay tuned
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Any EVO 5 onwards.......xxxxxx epic vehicles!
Draven

Post by Draven »

Yes they are indeed, I have to admit I'm struggling to find one. I was looking at importing one but one to what i'm looking at is seemingly impossible.

Return to “Member Profiles”