[Mk2] [Generic] SW20 heated windscreen

Forum For IMOC Group Buys

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nathan.z

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] SW20 heated windscreen

Post by nathan.z »

So I've lost the installation instructions. I currently keep popping 30amp fuses, wondering what the manufacture recommends? Obv's I'll install a 35amp next but want to double check. :lol:
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

Nathan, I will get the info for you asap.
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Thanks Marty. The 35 amp seems to be holding nicely with no fires so far. :thumleft:
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

Dual circuit screens so a live and an earth wire either side.

The screen will draw around 14-16 amps per side so fuses to suit are needed ( we recommend 25AMP), this then needs to be wired using good cable through a relay to a switch on the dash.

Some people wire drivers and passenger side separate but most go to the same switch.
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Marty J wrote:Dual circuit screens so a live and an earth wire either side.

The screen will draw around 14-16 amps per side so fuses to suit are needed ( we recommend 25AMP), this then needs to be wired using good cable through a relay to a switch on the dash.

Some people wire drivers and passenger side separate but most go to the same switch.

This explains why the fuse was blowing at 30 amps as both sides are wired to one fuse / relay and switch. (Totalling max 32 amps)

I'll see how the 35 amp fuse holds for now but know that there's margin to move up or rewire dual paths.

Thanks again Marty! :thumleft:
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Update - The 35 amp fuse held up for a few months but just popped. It also melted the fuse and the fuse holder so looks like my setup needs rewiring into a parallel circuit with 2 fuses splitting the amps in half down the wiring making it safe and less flammable.

:bang:
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

How is the screen performing generally nathan? Is it clearing quickly?
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

nathan.z wrote:Update - The 35 amp fuse held up for a few months but just popped. It also melted the fuse and the fuse holder so looks like my setup needs rewiring into a parallel circuit with 2 fuses splitting the amps in half down the wiring making it safe and less flammable.

thomp1983 wrote:How is the screen performing generally nathan? Is it clearing quickly?

Clearing quickly? Sounds like it's lighting up the quarter mile by nathans post!
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

aussieGT wrote:
nathan.z wrote:Update - The 35 amp fuse held up for a few months but just popped. It also melted the fuse and the fuse holder so looks like my setup needs rewiring into a parallel circuit with 2 fuses splitting the amps in half down the wiring making it safe and less flammable.

thomp1983 wrote:How is the screen performing generally nathan? Is it clearing quickly?

Clearing quickly? Sounds like it's lighting up the quarter mile by nathans post!

When it works it's fantastic, quick and very handy during the winter, I couldn't live without it and I imagine for T-bar owners it'd be a god send. (I remember the days of defrosting the inside of the windscreen on my old T-Bar. I'll post a video as soon as I get a free weekend to fix it.
Last edited by nathan.z on Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkeyra

Post by monkeyra »

If anyone wants a heated windscreen if I've got a spare one, new and unused, left over from the group buy. Send me a PM if interested.
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

I finally snagged a Sunday to fix the fuse holder. The original fuse holder was only rated for 20amps maximum hence why it melted!

After some deliberation I wired in a mega blade fuse holder rated for 60amps with a 35amp mega blade fuse instead rewiring the circuit for half the amps since it'd mean 2 relays and more work.

Comparison vs new

Overdue video demonstrating the heated windscreen. *I was half asleep this morning so there are a few verbal errors*

https://youtu.be/5gCAqtlhUeI

Need to investigate why one of the heating element strips is not heating up as quickly as the rest of the screen. Maybe there's a loose connection...checked and couldn't find any stone chips on that side.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

There effective then, I wouldn't personally use it to fully clear the screen as you did in the vid, I'd still scrape the screen the heater is ideal for clearing the condensation that remains so you can get going imo
filthy

Post by filthy »

Has anybody managed to remove the heater/fan and successfully relied on just the heated windscreen for demisting in wet or damp weather?
Chumbaside

Post by Chumbaside »

Are these screens still available? I'm interested in one for my track car...
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

Chumbaside wrote:Are these screens still available? I'm interested in one for my track car...

thomp1983 purchased two heated windscreens, maybe he would sell the second one.
Chumbaside

Post by Chumbaside »

Marty J wrote:
Chumbaside wrote:Are these screens still available? I'm interested in one for my track car...

thomp1983 purchased two heated windscreens, maybe he would sell the second one.

Thank you, that's good to know. I'll drop him a PM :thumleft:
monkeyra

Post by monkeyra »

I've still got mine here, willing to sell.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

I did indeed buy two but sadly they were both broken during a house move so I never got to use them and I've moved on from my mr2 to a 911
Kneel

Post by Kneel »

monkeyra wrote:I've still got mine here, willing to sell.

PM me if you still have it?
monkeyra

Post by monkeyra »

Pm sent

Return to “Group Buys - MR2 related”