Chris' 'bit on the side' (well, back)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Chris_9011

Chris' 'bit on the side' (well, back)

Post by Chris_9011 »

Well, what can I say...

...I've taken up the reigns from Dan's previous hard work, as seen in the following thread, http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/135/146084.html to finish off a project, and add my own little 'twist' to the proceedings.

With my car pretty much where I want it (with possibly a few little exceptions, and some tidying up of the bodywork) I got itchy feet and wanted a little project to keep me out of trouble. So, on the night before the Surrey Rolling Road day, I head the 200 miles or so down to the far reaches of the Kent countryside, with a quick stop off at my Dad's to borrow a pair of wheels, car all 'tow-barred' up to stop the night at Dan & Rach's and to bring 'Arfur' home... not a bad journey, bit annoying around the M25, but I expected that... a nice little 'fuel-economy' drive got me up to around the 40's (mpg) out of my 300bhp turbo. I arrive in Sandwich at around 8.30pm with a lovely home cooked meal, and a glass of JD & coke waiting for me, what could be better? (at this point I'd like to thank both Dan & Rach for the hospitality for the evening, very much appreciated, and saved me doing that long journey first thing in a morning).
Saturday morning, much to Dan's annoyance (j/k)... I lie in... not needing to get up at 6.30am to walk a dog, or to get a 5 year old breakfast was just too tempting to stay in bed, and after finally having had enough of my rudeness, he wakes me up and we get cracking getting the wheels on 'Arfur' ready to leave for Surrey... trailer all hitched up, quick check that all the lights are working, and we're off... 100 mile journey with a trailer on the back, and I pretty much didn't notice it (other than the 70mph max speed and not being able to go into the outside lane of course)... other than a few strange looks from other motorists, and a very puzzled lady in the services around mid-way, we managed to get to Surrey Rolling Road just as the last 2 MK2's were being put on the rollers.

My car did well, 293bhp... not the 300+ I was hoping for, but still a satisfactory result...

Onwards, I say my goodbyes as everyone I heading to the pub for a post-roller meal and drinks, I just wanted to get home (and I knew my journey would be longer than usual due to the reduced speed I'd be travelling at)... again... more puzzled looks, and a fair few photo's being taken of me... 2.5 hours later I arrive home... shattered!

So, that's the story behind the journey...

All tucked up...
Chris_9011

Re: Chris' 'bit on the side' (well, back)

Post by Chris_9011 »

so, I started taking the trailer apart... mostly trying to save some weight... first off, all the interior plastics and the window glass came out... the firewall carpet wasn't needed anymore, and nor was the boot carpet.
Next to go was the rev1 spoiler side 'pods'... the side scoops and the rear bumper

All these parts are now making a nice little pile in my garage, unfortunately most of the fasteners either snapped or broke as they were being removed, so they have a date with the recycler...

The trailer as it stood after initial parts removal...

Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

...now it's stripped (I do also plan on cutting off the roof but wanted to get the next stage done beforehand so I know the line I need to take to make the trailer look right) I started fitting the copious amount of parts I've amassed in my garage:

First thing's first... get the arch extensions in the correct place...

using the rear lights as a guide, I place the side extensions in place, mark and drill the holes for the bolts to hold them in place, then, one they're fitted, I can drill and rivet them on...

Once the arch extensions are on and in the right place... I used the old bumper as a guide as to where to drill the mounting holes in the TRD bumper. I then fitted this to the car...

I also removed the old bootlid, and placed the TRD (extended) one on to see what it looked like, and to gauge whether the extensions and bumper were all in the right place... at this point I also re-fitted the rear lights for a complete look

Fits pretty well...

That's it for now... just got to work out how I'm going to fit the side pods, and what I'm going to do with the front to box it in to make it look complete...

It's certainly getting there :D
androo007

Post by androo007 »

are you building a cut and shunt?
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

androo007 wrote:are you building a cut and shunt?

of course not... that's obviously far too dangerous, not to mention highly illegal... the end game is to have a trailer to use for camping weekends and something to be an extra show-piece...

...excuse to poor rendering, but you'll get the idea of what I'm hoping to achieve from this:
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

I was scratching my head reading but makes sense now, however wacky a idea it is :thumleft:
Draven

Post by Draven »

Wow that looks amazing, can't wait to see the finished result.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Awesome project looks great

(max towing speed is 60 on motorway :oldtongue: )
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

pistol pete wrote:(max towing speed is 60 on motorway :oldtongue: )

:oops:

:lol:

...at least I now know for next time :thumleft:
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

update time...

roof came off yesterday...

...I can't tell you how satisfying it is to take a power saw to an MR2!!

I had a large can of primer to hand, so I emptied that over the cut edges to give a little bit of protection for the bare metal, but I'll add some proper paint to it this afternoon to properly give it some protection.

I also managed to fit the rear decklid with the aid of a few rivetnuts...

...I also managed to get the side vents cut, and in place (I needed to do a bit of cutting to get them to fit properly, but they are lining up well). I now need to find a way of getting them to stay on there... rivets and tiger seal a plenty I think!

It's certainly getting there...

I've also managed to source a TRD rear wing (replica - obviously) to fit to the trailer... that hasn't arrived yet though

Next up - the boring bit of cutting sheet steel and welding it to box the framing in... I need to find someone with a decent welder, anyone know of anyone local to me?

Return to “Member Profiles”