Something for the summer

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

vinp182

Re: Something for the summer

Post by vinp182 »

I seem to be no further forwards but a little bit further back after a week :laughing

I've removed all 4 suspension struts and cleaned and painted all of the re-buildable cases, front spring cups and rear top mounts with matt black VHT paint as thats what I had ;) I bought new front top mounts :th:

All 4 calipers + carriers are now painted

I've removed the exhaust and rear subframe to fit the rear ARB but while the subframe is off I've decided to get it powder coated along with a couple of brackets :) Dropped them off this morning

I bought a set of stainless cancer bars to replace the ones on the car I thought were probably past it now but on inspection I've found the car doesn't have any and one of the bolts is snapped in place so thats a job for my dad :D

Just been and bought a tin of black Hammerite, didn't realise how expensive it was :shocked: .. This is for the suspension arms that are still on the car and whatever else under there I find while I'm paint happy :)
craig

Post by craig »

Powder coated bits look great!
vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

RedMR² wrote:Powder coated bits look great!

Cheers dude :thumleft:

Little update :)
My plan was to get the car ready for the Cotswolds run as it would have been a great test for the HD but we are really busy at work at the moment so I'm not getting much time on the car :sad: However I did by a back up car just in case (which was lucky as it was needed :D )

So this car..... 3 of the 4 corners are now complete, struts, calipers, pads, hoses, ball joints, track rod ends, drop links, etc
The subframe is back on the car now and all rear arms re-attached and painted black. I've also been cleaning all the bolts (tedious job :crybaby: ) and copper greasing everything :)
I'm hoping to get the last corner finished this week and move onto a more interesting job :laughing

Pic of the subframe with the new back up rev3 turbo in the background :)

synXero

Post by synXero »

That photo with the Caribbean blue '2 underneath reminds me I still love MR2s :D
vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

synXero wrote:That photo with the Caribbean blue '2 underneath reminds me I still love MR2s :D

Took this one a couple of weeks ago with all 3 mks here :D

vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

Almost ready for the HD :)

Finished the last corner (suspension etc)
TRD ARBs fitted
Brakes bled
Handbrake adjusted (will adjust again in a week or so)
Drilled and re-tapped all the broken under tray bolt holes ready for them to go on once I've re-adjusted the handbrake
Old Rotas back on for now and its off the ramp :)

Dash and centre tunnel replaced ith the alcantara trimmed ones out of the V6
Tidied up all the wiring behind there that had been messed with over the years
Fixed the speedhuts that had stopped working
Relocated speedhut controler, rad fan switch and the alarm buttons to a more suitable place
Replaced any plastics that had been drilled over the years or had redundand LEDs in
Replaced the rev4 steering wheel with a mk3 one
Fitted my Blitz gauges into an mr2eddy pillar pod (oil temp + pressure) + sensors
Fitted new stereo + cupholders

Finished off the engine bay (had to stick with the blue hoses for now due to cost)
Fitted my new HKS SSQV 4 to replace my old HKS that I wasn't sure is genuine or not
Re-fitted front and rear TRD braces
Re-fitted inspection covers and all other bits I had removed

New tyres on order which should be here today so I can get my new Enkeis on the car :D

I've also just taken delivery of a rev1 centre panel as I'm going back to rev1/2 lights for a while :th:

All I've got left really is tax and insurance at the end of the month, full geo then a shakedown test to see if I have any issues :th: Then once I know its ok I can get it back on the ramp, re-adjust the handbrake (if needed) and get the under trays back on :)

Oh and maybe I'll wash it too :laughing

vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

Taxed, insured, geo'd, tested, fixed again, tested again, cleaned and all ready for Scotland tomorrow :D

craig

Post by craig »

Looks great!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

vinp182 wrote:

Oooo pretty picture :thumleft: .. good stuff mate 8)
vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

Been a while :shocked:

Car tackled the Highland Drive without any major issues, I even managed to do the bridge 'fly by' in what felt like my quickest time :)
Couple of minor issues though, first being my Omori boost gauge stopped working which has since fixed itself, I couldn't get on with the Koni adjustables mainly due to them being a pain to adjust the rear (had different weight in the car on different days),slight exhaust blow, my new windscreen cracked and my splitter and bumper got badly stone chipped again :laughing and caught a wheel on a low kerb :sad:

Since the HD I've had another new screen fitted and Ive removed the Konis and fitted the new BC coilovers that were on the blue rev3 turbo (that now has the konis) and had another full geo done and pretty much parked it up in favour of the blue one

Took it out for Japshow Finale, Wedge and myself had a slow bimble down there early in the morning and about 2 miles out of Santa pod I lost all power and it sounded like a tractor.. Thought the slight exhaust leak had let go (maybe a gasket or flexi) so we pulled over but couldn't see anything obvious so continued to the pod to let it cool down.. Once cooled down a good friend came over and inspected it for me and we found that the wastegate had actually snapped off its fixing completely and was just wedged in place :sad:

After a long think I decided not to bother with recovery or even my dad with our trailer and to drive it home instead.. Not the greatest decision I've ever made but we got home without further issue.. Big thanks to Wedge for staying with me on the boring long journey home :th:

Had a bit of time a week or so ago so decided to get the car on the ramp and whip off the broken and necessary parts and ended up snapping an exhaust manifold stud in the head :sad:

This is what I found :no:

So I popped round to Nathan @ MrTwos to show him what I'd got and he gave me a new adaptor and gasket but told me to strip down the wastegate and inspect it before refitting :)

After stripping the wastegate down I found that the daiphragm had melted slightly (probably on the way home from the pod) so I chose to get a new one instead of fixing this one. I also ordered a couple of other bits and new black hoses to replace all the blue in the bay :cool1:

Also Nathan lent me his angled air drill to tackly the snapped stud in the head which my dad kindly did for me :)

New elbow + adaptor bolted up to the manifold which will relocate the wastegate to a more suitable position

As my new wastegate arrived yesterday I started on getting it all back together, however the new adaptor is 20mm deeper than the original so now the turbo fouls on the clutch cylinder and won't bolt up to the manifold square :ranting1: So I've removed it all again and taken the adaptor to the machine shop around the corner to get a few mm taken off of each face which I'm hoping will get me by temporarily

So thats pretty much up to date now, covered around 3000 miles (mostly in 1 trip) and its been broken more than working :crybaby:

Return to “Member Profiles”