Track car with a low budget | Powered by Adaptronic

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GreddyMR2

Re: Track car with a low budget | Powered by Adaptronic

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Little update.
Finally got some wide tyres and had to cut fenders a bit. It was hard...
Overfenders fitted from 240Z.

Fitted thinner bolts to increase camber.

Welded swaybar mounting places

Made custom air duct as didn't have an original. Thought it should help a bit to reduce engine temps

And it was ready for a track day :)

Track day was going very well untill engine just stopped and didn't want to start. I found out that fuel pump was faulty as it wasn't making any sound. The car was trailered back to garage and I imediatly started taking fuel tank off (I hate this job!). Took the fuel pump off and only found cut wire. It was connected with screw connector (don't really know how it's called in english) so now I just soldered them and hopefully they won't get loose again.

During track day I managed to set my personal record so I am quite happy with this even I had a change to do maybe 5 fast laps.
Now I will get the car mapped again for a higher boost (if possible) and hope to get even faster lap during time attack at 12 of September.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Hollly fcku dude your car really is the phoenix rising from the ashes .. good work and well done :thumleft:
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

2mad wrote:Hollly fcku dude your car really is the phoenix rising from the ashes .. good work and well done :thumleft:

It only looks nice from the far :mrgreen:
But yes, I'm happy it's more or less straight again so I can race.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

GreddyMR2 wrote:
2mad wrote:Hollly fcku dude your car really is the phoenix rising from the ashes .. good work and well done :thumleft:

Looks great to me .. great to see you back in action .. more vids please :mrgreen:
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

2mad wrote:
GreddyMR2 wrote:

Looks great to me .. great to see you back in action .. more vids please :mrgreen:

I was planning to do some video from a track day, but the car stopped before I connected video camera :D

Now I hope I will participate in a racing so it should be an interesting video. I plan to start from the end as this will be first racing in my life.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Cant wait ... vids vids vids :mrgreen:
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

2mad wrote:Cant wait ... vids vids vids :mrgreen:

Be patient my friend :mrgreen:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Haha .. i will :wink:
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Got some mapping yesterday.
After I got the fuel rail bored and disconnected fuel pump resistors, now problems with fuelling seems gone. We turned up the boost to 1.2bar and it's probably a safe limit as the injectors already working at ~85%.

Unfortunately I still have problems with intake temps. After couple of 4-5th gear hard pull temp raises to ~80 degrees. Because of that timing is quite retarded so I can not reach full potential of the engine.
And we think it's because of a bad turbo design. It is CT20 with a bigger compressor wheel and the exhaust side stock. It spools really nice and fast, power feel is very linear and it would be great for a street use, but for a track it's a garbage. Probably I will be looking to some turbo kit during the winter.

Anyway, car runs so much better now after we raised from 1bar to 1.2 \:D/
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Big can of worms lucus .. but water meth mate :thumleft:

Ps. car looks great mate :thumleft:
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

2mad wrote:Big can of worms lucus .. but water meth mate :thumleft:

I think I need to solve main problem which cause high intake temps which is pobably a turbo and then to go further I guess :) I need a turbo with a bigger exhaust side.

2mad

Post by 2mad »

GreddyMR2 wrote:

I think I need to solve main problem which cause high intake temps which is pobably a turbo and then to go further I guess :) I need a turbo with a bigger exhaust side.

Got a hks td05 turbo for sale if your interested .. was going to use it on my car but the cars for sale now ..

Same turbo .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x9PDbR_a_I .. pretty nifty thats why i bought it :thumleft:
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

2mad wrote:
GreddyMR2 wrote:

Got a hks td05 turbo for sale if your interested .. was going to use it on my car but the cars for sale now ..

Same turbo .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x9PDbR_a_I .. pretty nifty thats why i bought it :thumleft:

TD05 is rated at around 350hp, right? I would probably be looking at a bit bigger turbo like TD06 or similar. Just want to have some reserve for future upgrades :)
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Its a 20g no idea what thats rated to .. you've got a nice car id like to help you make it better ... that is all :D

350hp would be mega for £300 :D same price as a ct20b 8-[ :)

So if you bought it it would be a straight swap for your turbo :thumleft:
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

2mad wrote:Its a 20g no idea what thats rated to .. you've got a nice car id like to help you make it better ... that is all :D

350hp would be mega for £300 :D same price as a ct20b 8-[ :)

So if you bought it it would be a straight swap for your turbo :thumleft:

Really apprieciate your help! :)
Not a bad price at all! But not sure if it's good for my needs. Also, I think I have engine potencial for maybe 400hp with bigger injectors.

Oh, and my funds are terrible at the moment :D Probably will save money during winter and will search for a turbo before next season.

If I change my mind, I will let you know :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

No worries :thumleft:
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Season is over so I think I can end it with a small summary :)

Firstly, I finally got my first stand alone ECU which opened possibilities to practically unlimited mods to the engine. And I am very happy with Adaptronic performance and how it worked flawlessly over the season.

Now I hope that engine rebuilds can be forgotten for a while when the ecu is mapped right and I have full safety features for the engine.

Despite good things, there were also bad. I got my car crashed during one event which you can see in my earlier posts. There was quite a lot of work, but everything was done (not perfectly, but it's a race car :)) and I could race again.

I had one small auto-x event in which I finished 2nd in my class. It was quie a fun to come back to auto-x track after some time :)

Then I started preparing for the biggest time attack event in Lithuania. Got the car mapped again with bigger injectors and bored fuel rail, did some tweaking on suspension and some other little things. My objective was to pass the qualifying and I managed it by doing my personal best time.

At the race day I was quite calm knowing that I will not compete for the podium (much more HP, less weight and trainings is still needed :)). During my first run, I noticed that my clutch is gone and I am happy I reached the pit line. Got under the car and saw leaking clutch pipe near the cylinder. I was a bit upset, but I am happy I had some fellows with MR2s as well there and one of them took that pipe of his car and gave for me!

Then had some difficult time bleeding the clutch, but eventually we fixed it and I was ready for my next run. And managed to set my personal best time again on the last lap, which you can see here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DRRZVVvD7E

Oh, I almost forgot one thing. That day I had my firs race :) I started from the end of the line with intension (I was driving slowly in qualifying) as it was my first race and didn't want to fight hard, just wanted to get some experiance. I was very carefull and of cousre finished at the back. Also, my oil temp was getting very hot to around 140 degrees celsius... Because of that, I didn't do a second run of the race.
Here you can see a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-KO1edQU5k

In conclusion, I was happy with my results and here is how we were going home. Race car is towing steer car :D

And finally, here is a really nice video from this event with english comments :thumleft:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smwCI0B8jJw

Now I am starting to prepare for the next season. Finally I won't need engine rebuilt and can focus on other things as suspension and aerodynamics.

I have bought an IC for a boot mount

Also, bought HKS TD05 from 2mad :)

And here is my vision for a front

A lot of work is waiting during winter time, but hopefully it will pay off and I will be much faster next year.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Good luck with the turbo , cant wait to see what it and you can do :thumleft: ... remember any problems let me know mate ..

Thanks again, Kev.
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

2mad wrote:Good luck with the turbo , cant wait to see what it and you can do :thumleft: ... remember any problems let me know mate ..

Thanks again, Kev.

Time will tell \:D/ I will take it for a check, but I hope it's in specs :)
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

OK I couldn't resist for this... Just got myself more work for a winter and it will be used as my daily car next year.

It was one of my friends, quite beloved car, but was standing outside unused for more than one year. It has quite a lot of rust, but I have couple MR2s for spares so will cut and weld a bit, repaint and it will shine again.

It has almost new koni yellow + tein springs suspension, custom SS exhaust, rev3+ rear lights fitted, sparco bucket seat. And he gave me also nice set of Kosei R17 rims. Technically car is almost perfect, just reuires serious body work.

Return to “Member Profiles”