JAE essentials (what you need to bring)

The biggest and best car show in the UK!
IMOC - Winners of 'Best Overall Club' 2010, 2013 & 2014. :-)

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lauren
IMOC Committee

JAE essentials (what you need to bring)

Post by Lauren »

Okay, JAE is only a week away.

For those that haven't been before, we will have a marquee with power, music and likely a projector screen for people to game on etc. Normally people bring an Xbox etc. Whatever takes your fancy in this regard.

Generally there are no issues with regard to anything going missing. Especially so as there is normally someone loitering at all times around the club stand.

Please note there are no chairs this year, so bring your own camping chair or you could be sitting on the floor. Bit of a pain this as we've had chairs for a number of years now at the previous venue, but that's how it is. You can get a cheap camping chair for under a tenner normally available at motorway services, supermarkets and camping shops of course. We will have tables though.

We will have a number of kettles, that's cool and we normally have around four gas burning stoves. If you have one and some gas bottles, it's not a bad idea to bring it. Ditto kettles, more is useful.

If you drink coffee and tea, bring what you need. The same goes for milk. I will bring a fair amount and how long it keeps depends on the weather really. If everyone brings enough supplies, we won't run out.

Bring a travel mug and a spoon, if you haven't got one you'll be trying to borrow someone else's every morning if your coffee fix is essential. There is normally a coffee stand where you can get an overpriced latte. This is probably worth it first thing in my experience.

For the BBQ, if you want to cook food, bring your own food. Also if you want to contribute to charcoal, that would be a help too. It's simply a case of expecting that those who want to cook their own food, chip in really. The club will bring some charcoal and the like. Spatulas are useful too I've found! Some members cook bacon and the like on the BBQ for breakfast, again if you want to do this, bring supplies.

There are food stalls on site and obviously YMMV. The organisers have booked some authentic Japanese cuisine, so if you love your Japanese food as I do, then this could be a good option, to over-cooked mediocre BBQ food! The choice is your's of course.

Other essentials are car cleaning stuff. There is a tap about a five minute walk away for filling buckets.

Also bring a torch, it gets dark at night and quite early as we are in mid-September. There will be lighting in the marquee till midnight when we have to close up for the night. The bar is I believe open to till 2pm.

Also make sure you bring appropriate clothing. It may be warm-ish during the day but it will definitely be cold at night. Bring warm coats, decent shoes, boots etc to make sure you can cope.

In terms of sleeping equipment a decent sleeping bag with a mattress underneath is a minimum really. If you're a couple we've found two duvets on an air mattress (the thin self inflating type) is ideal. Sleep between the duvets and you'll be warm. Or zip two sleeping bags together, share the warmth and all that, works really well too. Having an Indy to sleep with you also helps, but you may not have one of them!

Bring bottled water, or something you can fill up with water. Great if you want a drink in the night or for making tea and coffee come the morning. Water in a big bottle is always useful. You can buy value water at a supermarket for virtually nothing, or get one of those big inflating water vessels that hold five or ten litres from a camping shop.

Bring booze and plenty of it. Obviously whatever floats your boat. There is a bar, but trust me most people just bring their own, much cheaper.

Also bring any snacks. Things like crisps and chocolate keep you going and are great when you get the munchies.

Bring enough cash for what you need. It's one of those things where it's hard to say how much. Generally I take around £100. Better to have some left over than not have enough, I reckon. Money is needed for food and stuff and also there are trader stands around, so if you buy some small things it can add up pretty quickly. I'm not sure how far it is to a cash point.

Bring a towel or too. I find it's much easier to dry myself with one of these! There are showers of course and towels are handy things anyway to have.

We try and keep cars on the stand as static as much as possible. It makes no sense to move your car ten metres to your tent everynight, park it up, get it clean and then it's sorted! Bring plenty of microfibre cloths for getting the water off in the morning. Obviously if you're a polishing demon, bring all that stuff too. A bucket is handy too.

If I think of anything else, I will add it and please feel welcome to too! Can't wait till next Thursday now! :)
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Ben

Re: JAE essentials (what you need to bring)

Post by Ben »

Bogroll! :lol:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Good point, Ben! :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
JD

Post by JD »

Also maybe tinfoil for the BBQ depending on foodstuffs being cooked :-k
Ben

Post by Ben »

Not a bad idea, although after almost smoking out an entire marquee a couple of years back I tend to stick to the food stalls... 8-[
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Also tent may help.
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
JD

Post by JD »

oukie wrote:Also tent may help.

:-o
Ben

Post by Ben »

Shall I do some Haribo vodka again? :-k :mrgreen:

Previous:
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Yeah bring your Haribo.

I'm sure Malcom will be bringing Haribo anyway. Haribo trap Mark 13' :lol:
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Haribo vodka is in progress. I have a horrendous day of work to get through tomorrow, and then I am ON IT. :lol:

Previous:

Return to “JAE 2015”