'The last incarnation of our beloved Mr2'....but really!?!

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Bmf_doherty

'The last incarnation of our beloved Mr2'....but really!?!

Post by Bmf_doherty »

As IMOC at the time of building/updating it's website the mk3 section states that the mk3 is the last incarnation of the Mr2... But it would seem Mr T are most likely going to build a new Mr2 and supra, sticking to some old skool values!

So seems IMOC could be expanding as early as next year when I do believe the new Mr2 is to be released!

So will be interesting to see if Mk3 is tarted up or a new shape?!

I'm going to guess that the will fluff it up! With all these EU automotive rules that have to be followed I'm not holding my breathe for a stunning reasonably priced version!

What's everyone thoughts? Anyone know any secrets of these new cars coming back to life?

Ben
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Re: 'The last incarnation of our beloved Mr2'....but really!?!

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

This normally rolls around about the 1st of April every year, where have the rumours come from now? I can only find the usual speculative links. Do we have any new web links to any recent news? It would surely be a completely new design if it is true, as the MK3 has been out of production for a while now.

What would be nice is if they go the same sort of route they did with the MK2, slightly larger looking car and another turbo version.. If that happened and the looks were there and the price was right, I would possibly consider visiting a dealer. I hope they do bring them back, but it has taken them a while, things looked promising with the introduction of the GT86.
Bmf_doherty

Post by Bmf_doherty »

Hey dan,

I haven't got any saved links to hand but sure will dig around for them again.

I know they are going for a 2015 release, but on a negative I read price tags of up to £60k!!!!! :pale:

But they were talking about both MR2 and surpa! But very interesting to see the route they go down!

I wonder with a price potentially that high the spec should be as Nicole would say 'shamazing'!!
Maybe a bit of comp for the R35?! Seems a big ask from Toyota these days!
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

There will be no new MR2, and certainly not next year.

The proposed Supra replacement will be well in excess of £60K, if it ever happens.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

never happening.
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

Apparently there will be a new sports car but it wont be MR layout. Its in collaberation with BMW. But not alot more info than that.

Stuart
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
JD

Post by JD »

Toyota wheeled out this concept last year...

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-to-unve ... rance-race

It's a Mk3 chassis with a Prius drivetrain and some quirky styling. Nothing to write home about at this stage.

The new "Supra" will most likely have a BMW engine (some evolution of the current N55B30 perhaps) so all the eurocentric new money can fire back in confidence when their golf club/"upper-middle" management chums make snide remarks about their new "white goods" jap car, and it will cost stupid money.

Having said that, they did just put an NA V8 in the new RC-F but then again, everyone with money will buy an M4 because it's quantitatively better, and I believe it's already part of the deal that BMW get to power the new thing, if it ever happens.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

JD wrote:Toyota wheeled out this concept last year...

Car looks nice .. wheels and wheel offsets fail though :(
JD

Post by JD »

2mad wrote:
JD wrote:Toyota wheeled out this concept last year...

Car looks nice .. wheels and wheel offsets fail though :(

Haha, like i said, it's basically a dolled-up W30 so is closer to a road-going car than a full on concept with crazy "stance". It would be nice if Toyota did add a MR sports car or roadster back to their lineup but I don't think it would sell well at all :\
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

Hmm...that concept looks rubbish, really.....! :shock:

Way things are going, we'll have to wait until about 2020 until we get a "proper" Mr2 Mk4....and I reckon it'll be totally electric...? :? 8)

All the stuff Toyota seem to be working on is based on collabs with other mfrs: basically following the pack there..?

Tighter emissions control, higher taxation, safety regs, etc, have basically killed off the "fun" aspect of cars: couple that with accountant-led projects, leaned-out to the last penny / cent, and it means we'll never get our ideal MR2, with a supercharged V6 / V8, manual, weighing less than an Elise, mid-engine, etc....! :(

Alongside this, they're making it increasingly difficult for people to create their own supercars, via engine swaps, etc....

So, we're stuck with buying half-hearted attempts at creating "universal", one-size-fits-all" cars.

It REALLY gets on my nerves: a few years back, I was looking at actually building an ideal "fun car". I met with a few chaps, we discussed premises, finances, design, etc......but it would have fallen down on regs....

If I win the lottery...it'll happen, trust me!

The ideal car should be basic: you don't NEED all the gizmos if you know what you're doing.
The driver is in control....

I'm dreaming here, aren't I.....!?
:D :roll:

At the end of the day, it comes down to £$£$£$£...

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”