Best Cheap Track day car?

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ryan_s3

Best Cheap Track day car?

Post by ryan_s3 »

Looking for a cheap track day weapon,so that i don't ruin my car what would you reccommend ,i was thinking of a honda crx?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Best Cheap Track day car?

Post by Lauren »

FWD so :thumbdown: They can be fun, but really RWD is the way to go.

Best option I thinks is a 1.8 MX5 with LSD (ie an import). Can be picked up for 2.5K. They are cheap to run, handle well and are quick enough learn a lot about handling etc.
ryan_s3

Post by ryan_s3 »

Rwd eh,probably get a stripped out scooby or evo for 2.5k
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Old BMW for £500 notes. Bigger engined variant with RWD - lots of fun?

T

p.s. Lauren where have you seen a 1.8 for that price?? I've been looking for a drift car as you know, and I haven't seen a 1.8 for under about £4K - loads of 1.6s for less but most don't have an LSD.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

ryan_s3 wrote:Rwd eh,probably get a stripped out scooby or evo for 2.5k

que? - scooby/evo aren't rwd, and I'd like to see one for 2.5k which would still be running at the end of the day :)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

tonigmr2 wrote:Old BMW for £500 notes. Bigger engined variant with RWD - lots of fun?

T

p.s. Lauren where have you seen a 1.8 for that price?? I've been looking for a drift car as you know, and I haven't seen a 1.8 for under about £4K - loads of 1.6s for less but most don't have an LSD.

Howard, one of the BaT instructors is looking for one. Reckon he has seen a few at that price.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Blimey well next time he does let me know, I've not seen a onner at that money!

However, I think I may have secured a fantastic drift machine....if it comes off I'll let you know - a bit more than my original budget but it had to be done :wink:

T
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

How cheap are you thinking? I've got a Sierra XR4x4 2.8i you can have very cheap...! :)

As for MX5s, i recently brought one with my g/f and we paid £3700 for a near mint 1995 1.8i S (with TorSen diff) with loads of work done on it, low mileage and with loads of accessories (inc hardtop). A mate of mine brought a 1994 1.8i import (the one with uprated Biltein dampers and front strut brace as standard) for about the same money. The cheapest 1.8 we saw was £2500 which was an import with tatty bodywork, but I guess that wouldnt matter if you wanted to use it for track days. And there's definately some about between £3k and £4k! Just gotta keep your eyes peeled!
ryan_s3

Post by ryan_s3 »

mx-5 might be a option then.
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

bmw e30 325 is prob the cheapest was to go i reckon.
biggbn

Post by biggbn »

320/325 bm, nissan 200sx turbo, old supra turbo/starion turbo...gsi 3000 24v carlton??? all rwd, ridiculously easy to get and keep sideways and all cheap cheap
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

nisnos

Post by nisnos »

i personally know a guy (ecu mapper) who regularly kicks ar$e on track with a square box nissan silvia s12!
he mapped my old s12 turbo and i scared a few motorbikes!!

they are very potent if done right and cheap!!

btw this guy is THE best mapper i have ever come across in nearly 13 yrs - he can do amazing things without the usual extra costs. - you dont always need the brand named latest gubbins to get your results!

my 2p from experience!

dave
daygo30

Post by daygo30 »

its got to be a nissan 200sx s13
loads of rear wheel drive fun with loads of moddin potential check out www.norrisdesigns.com
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

It depends on what you're looking to get out of a trackday - if you want to learn about handling, I'd recommend a cheap MK1 NA - there are plenty of people here who can offer advice on the car. The NA engine is fairly unburstable too - its rust that generally tends to cause the MOT failures.

I bought mine for £600 just over a year ago, and the running costs are reasonable for parts like tyres (£35ea) , brake pads (40ea) and brake disks(45/pair).

I've done 6 trackdays in the car, and spent ~200 on parts (front balljoints, paint/filler for rear wing, service items) and it is just going through its next MOT - £120 of welding, and its good for another year's worth of trackdays.
Sooty

Post by Sooty »

I had an E30 320i that was stripped out and it was good fun.

If you want to spend a bit more, get a imported 1.6 MX5 (Eunos - they all have LSD) and bolt a turbocharger onto it. Loads of cheap fun !!
leewaring

Post by leewaring »

Yeah a nice mk1 is good. Get them for £500 or less now. Loads of fun.

http://www.leewaring.co.uk/mac
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

leewaring wrote:Yeah a nice mk1 is good. Get them for £500 or less now. Loads of fun.

:thumleft: - they really are enjoyable cheap trackday cars, and they make good runabouts too.

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”