iPOD owners might wanna look at this

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm

iPOD owners might wanna look at this

Post by Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm »

got my ipod kit through today and will be fitting it in soon! took a little while to arrive (about 2 damn weeks!) still i have it now so will be taking the dash apart AGAIN to fit it this week hopefully.

basically the kit can be used on different makes of stereo. there's a seperate kit for sony, alpine and pioneer ect and it plugs into where the CD autochanger normally goes.

you get a little mounting bracket to hold the i pod (which i shall hide out of view i think) and it gives full control of the ipod through the CD head unit and also displays track titles ect on the head unit!

i'll post more when i've installed it and let you know what i think, total cost of the unit was a tad over £100 notes if you wondered. ah and works with ipod mini and Gen 3 and 4 ipods :wink:
Kelvin

Re: iPOD owners might wanna look at this

Post by Kelvin »

Sounds good Chris, will look forward to more info once you've got it installed.

Mr TNT should be arriving today with my iPod Photo, so will be in the market for such a device soon. will be interested to see if it does actually pass the song titles through.

Kelvin
Taz007

Post by Taz007 »

not a fan of ipods! pretty rubbish compared to other ones!

but this kit sounds good. think id rather get a hard-disk head unit rather than hook up an ipod.

i have a creative labs zen touch (20gb) mp3 player and its great - battery life is 24 hr (supposedly) never used it that long had it on for bout 16 hrs n it was still goin.

wonder if theres anythin available for it

that's why i went ipod taz, cheaper than a HDD headunit and the best MP3 player about for add ons.

a tad over priced but overall the ipod is great! sound quality is defo the best out of the ones about right now i feel.

kit was made by www.dension.com can see it on there main page, shitty weather outside today so i might whack it in tomorrow.
Taz007

Post by Taz007 »

my bro has a mini ipod its ok but only lasts 4 hrs if even. so far its the only one with add ons which is xxxx so ur stuck for options.

let us know how it goes mate
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

The thing is, it's so much more than an MP3 player, which is what people tend to forget.

What you actually have is a 40Gb hard drive, that also plays MP3's, and now stores pictures that are viewable.

Chris is right though, the sound quality is so much better than the others, and with the new 4G iPods the track/file access is very very quick.

I'm always function over form myself (you should see my Suzuki SJ daily driver!), but in the iPod you do actually get both. Maybe it's also because of it's superb integration into MAC OS, which you'd expect, that also appeals. I haven't had a PC on my desk for 5+ years and will never be going back!!!

Hurry up Mr TNT man!!!

kelvvin

Taz007 wrote:my bro has a mini ipod its ok but only lasts 4 hrs if even. so far its the only one with add ons which is xxxx so ur stuck for options.

let us know how it goes mate

ah forgot to say the car kit also charges the unit :D
Rich

Post by Rich »

I got one of these when I put the Alpine DVD player in, absolutly mint! Bit of a pain to find the tracks u want without reading the instructions tho but now I have its cool.

Works fine on my old iPod too, Gen 3 iPod with latest firmware and its fine but without upgrading the firmware it dont work.

15Gb of mp3s in the car now :D

GRRRR so far it's been p1$$ing me off! instructions are exactly correct, couldn't find anywhere on the dension web site that guides you through how you scroll throught the menu on the ipod via the head unit and tried a firmware upgrade but i fear i may of bu88ered it! hope not gonna try again later. was updating but took bloody ages and seemed to be doing nothing as it reckons 60secs for an update on a G4 ipod and 5mins on other ipods, i left it doing it for 15mins and nothing!

hoping to get it sorted out as once the firmware is there it could be a damn good little gadget! 20gig of MP3's in the car! hehe
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

Hi Chris,

How's the Dension unit working out?

where did you get it from BTW?

Cheers

Kelvin

well it p1$$e$ me off to be honest! i'm going to send it back as i tried to do there firmware update but my stupid car got a short part the way through so it doesn't work at all!

to be honest you'd be better with the alpine or kenwood unit as that's got it all set up to work.

the dension is good if you have the paitence to set it up but i'm just gonna get a refund if i can or exchange and sell it on ebay or something if they won't gimmie the refund.

shame as it did work for a while just was a bit buggy. was hit and miss to it working but was told the firmware would sort that out and that's what bu88ered mine up hehe :)
Rich

Post by Rich »

Got to say Ive had no problems with my Alpine headunit & iPod interface at all (except when I reset the Gen2 iPod and forgot to update the firmware lol)
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

so it was the firmware on the Dension that messed up?

What generation of iPod have you got?

Cheers

Kelvin

4th gen ipod but works with all gens i'm told, only 3rd and 4th gen display track titles on the headunit though i think.

check out there website for info on the kit at www.dension.com
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Why not just get an MP3 headunit?? Can't honestly tell me that the i-pod can improve an already compressed format and make it sound better than it does from a CD. OK, the storage, but you can put pictures on CD, and much other stuff (maybe not full DVD's uncompressed), and if you keep 25 cd's in the car, you've got 20GB of storage (ish), also, if you fill a 20GB I-pod, you've gotta keep moving stuff around, with CD, you just burn another?

Just my 2p, I know i-pods are good, especially if you don't drive, but for in the car I don't see the point (IMHO) :)
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...

might head unit is a cd MP3 unit :)

i just got to greedy i guess :P
mr2daz

Post by mr2daz »

Chris 'aka rustboy' Ammon wrote:
shame as it did work for a while just was a bit buggy. was hit and miss to it working but was told the firmware would sort that out and that's what bu88ered mine up hehe :)

I was looking at the Denison website recently and although I was just browsing (Looking at the pics more than anything!) I seem to recall reading a bit about a firmware release being dodgy. I distinctly rember a bit about a new update being available in a couple of days.

Might be worth another look before you do anything drastic.

Just a thought.
Kieron

Post by Kieron »

I have an MP3/DVD etc head unit in the 2, but in the Laguna we use an ipod with an itrip adapter. Turn on, tune in.

Good enough quality to keep the Mrs and 2 screamers quiet!

Return to “ICE and Security”