SW20 LHD quick steer pinion, who would want a group buy started ?

Forum For IMOC Group Buys

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Marty J

Re: SW20 LHD quick steer pinion, who would want a group buy started ?

Post by Marty J »

aussieGT wrote:Is the expected wait time for these about 2 (two) years?

Why would you expect to wait two years when the design is on file ? There would be no reason for the lhd pinions to take as long because the manufacturer now knows how to produce them. If you want to take the order and have the lhd upgraded pinions produced then go ahead and help these people out.

You seem to have a grudge about the length of time that the rhd pinions are taking. The reasons have been openly explained on this site.

What do you hope to gain from your latest remark ?
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

Marty J wrote:
aussieGT wrote:Is the expected wait time for these about 2 (two) years?

What do you hope to gain from your latest remark ?

Nothing really. Just flabbergasted that you accepted monies from people in JULY 2011 and that the majority of those people are still waiting for the pinion.

If you think thats all acceptable for the many and varied reasons for a near two year delay thats fine, nothing wrong with potential new buyers being aware of 'acceptable/possible delays'
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

There was no way these would have been made if money was not paid. I am unemployed and do not have the financial resources to pay up front out of my own pocket.

Let me make it quite clear: This is not a scam or some way to con people out of their money. People have received their upgraded parts. I wanted a rhd upgraded pinion and wanted to bring this product to the market for other MR2 owners to enjoy.

ALL delays have been down to the manufacturer. We had to wait because our order was so small. I would assume that they wanted the full amount because I had never dealt with them before, but there could be other reasons.

If the lhd group buy does go ahead, this time all I would ask for is a deposit. The manufacturer would only get the full amount when the finished parts are signed off.

Although I cannot be certain, I do believe that the rest of the current order should be completed sometime next week.
iecku

Post by iecku »

1. Peterwolf - interested.
2. mr2liter (misterg on mr2oc) - interested
3. PhantomSi
4. iecku - interested
Nilsen

Post by Nilsen »

1. Peterwolf - interested.
2. mr2liter (misterg on mr2oc) - interested
3. PhantomSi
4. iecku - interested
5. Nilsen

If it's not too late please pm me with details for payment,,very interested
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

I have been doing some research on the internet about the lhd MR2 with power steering. It appears that Toyota made the same changes to the lhd MR2 as they did the rhd in that they used different pinions and bearings in the power steering rack.

You would need to know which revision you have: 1 and 2 from 1989 to early 1993 = LHD Type A.

Mid 1993 to 1999 = LHD Type B.

Please let me know which type you would want.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

A while back I was asked if a Type A power steering could use a Type B pinion and vice-verse. So I examined a Type A and Type B steering rack and pinion yesterday.

The large bearing that the pinion goes through (sits on the part of the pinion just above the helical thread) are indeed different sizes.

To convert a Type B to Type A would require either a spacer made and Toyota bearing or a completely different bearing with smaller inside diameter.

To convert Type A steering rack to Type B would require machining the rack where the large bearing sits. This would allow the use of the Type B bearing to be installed.

To be honest it would be less of a headache just to go out and purchase a second hand power steering rack of your choice.

Return to “Group Buys - MR2 related”