Idea - A whats it worth section?

What's happening at the Club. You can post your suggestions and ideas here, along with reports of any problems using the site.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

KarlBristol

Idea - A whats it worth section?

Post by KarlBristol »

Just an idea but it might be handy to have a "whats it worth" section...

There seem to be threads that pop up asking for rough guides as to prices on the mk2 sections, for sale threads and off topic amongst others which litters up the forum a bit...

It would help our users establish if things they have seen are worth the money, and help people decide if they want to sell their car/parts. It would also prevent items being listed for sale without a price as users just dont have a clue

Its a section I'd love to see up and running; not sure on other peoples views?
Last edited by KarlBristol on Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
Tsia

Re: Idea - A whats it worth section?

Post by Tsia »

Sounds good to me!
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Gets my vote :thumleft:
No 2 :(
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

It would have to be open to premium members only or the section would be abused for selling those items by non paying members
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Completly agree ref it not being open to everyone

If implemented it would help out premium members in more than one way I think :thumleft:

alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

I can see if this new section went ahead it causing the admin a lot of clean up duties :lol:

Im sure most people already know roughly what parts are worth but lets do a test

Whats a genuine, complete REV1/2 El glow badge and invertor worth?

Now let see if anyone comes close to what i just sold one for, not including delivery :D
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

£50
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

higher
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

whats this 'the price is right' :mrgreen:
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

The idea is to give people an idea as to prices - especially for those all important potential car sales. Its subjective and is aimed to give people a rough guide. You will never be able to accurately state exactly what a sale price is/will be.

We have all been complete noobs and have all been ripped off on parts before. This might help. Also, what about those times you find a rare part and want other peoples opinions as to if its worth the cost its advertised at before you buy it?

I dont see how guessing a price that you have sold something for is going to help establish if this will help the forum one way or another. Its not an exact science, and the market fluctuates - its just to help with a ball park figure

If everyone knew what everything was worth there wouldnt be so many "whats it worth" threads popping up in different parts of the forum every month

Id be more than happy to mod it myself if no one else stepped up.

alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

exactly my point, some people will say higher and some people will say lower.

But i will put you out of misery lol Sold for £95. Now i have seen these go for as low as £30 and as high as £250. So tell me, what exactly is it worth? :lol:
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

KarlBristol wrote:The idea is to give people an idea as to prices - especially for those all important potential car sales. Its subjective and is aimed to give people a rough guide. You will never be able to accurately state exactly what a sale price is/will be.

We have all been complete noobs and have all been ripped off on parts before. This might help. Also, what about those times you find a rare part and want other peoples opinions as to if its worth the cost its advertised at before you buy it?

I dont see how guessing a price that you have sold something for is going to help establish if this will help the forum one way or another. Its not an exact science, and the market fluctuates - its just to help with a ball park figure

If everyone knew what everything was worth there wouldnt be so many "whats it worth" threads popping up in different parts of the forum every month

Id be more than happy to mod it myself if no one else stepped up.

My point was to ask people to say what they thought this item was worth. So if i had listener to Jasongtr i would have lost out lol. Obviously you could not see what i was getting at.

So if i had listened to Jason i would have lost £45. :thumleft:

Oh, i also have another for sale, and yes i wont be listenng to Jason and selling it for £50 :lol:
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

to be honest i dont even know what it was, i might of said £10
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Still maintain its a very useful section to have on the forum and would clean up the forum in certain sections :thumleft:

Most forums have one of these, and tbh I find it weird that imoc doesn't :-k

uglee

Post by uglee »

I'd like to say I think it would be a pretty bad idea. Asking other MR2 owners what someone elses MR2 is worth is in no way a measure of valuation on a car.

From a lot of replies on various threads it becomes quite clear just because you own an MR2, does not make you an authority on them or the valuation of them :eye:
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

KarlBristol wrote:Just an idea but it might be handy to have a "whats it worth" section...

Same answer everytime - "what someone is willing to pay for it." Simples.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

maybe highlighted by the fact i dont have a clue what the e glow thing was and said £50 as it ws the 1st number that came into my head, and also said it could well of been £10 highlights the fact you could get as Lee said clueless people commenting on the items, how much help that would be to the seller is up for a discussion.

i think it might be the lazy people out there who cannot be bothered to do some research on there items/cars, and if they cannot be bothere to do the research then maybe they deserve toeither sell something way cheaper than it should be or not have it sold for asking too much.

also i dont think posting a whats it worth thread constitutes decent research
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

How about a section where someone can post up an item and ask - "What's this worth?". Give people a time limit of maybe five days to reply. The OP starts by giving a price that they think is the minimum value they would accept for the item.

Then people who think they would like the item can start contributing with the price they think it is worth. We'll make a rule that it can't be less than the previous person, but has to be at least a pound more.

At the end of the five days, the person who put the highest value on the item has to put their money where their mouth is and purchase the goods.

I call this idea ImocBay.
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

There aren't that many people asking how much their car is worth is there? I remember seeing 5 or 6 threads like that over the last year or so? Maybe there has been more I wont trawl the site checking, but if people don't know the value of their own car... Personally I just wouldn't allow `how much is it worth` threads at all, they bought the car/mods they should know what they paid and a rough idea how much they want to make back on it. If it doesn't sell for what they want drop the price. Go on auto trader and see how much they are selling for. Most the time these threads are probably to get around being a premium paid member.

Return to “Club News and Announcements”