Rev/speed limiter

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Richard

Rev/speed limiter

Post by Richard »

'91 Toyota MR2 G-ltd - auto. Can anyone tell me if this car has a speed limiter fitted as standard? The car is ok in 1st and 2nd gear, but seems to hold back at about 5000 in 3rd gear.
Jon S

Re: Rev/speed limiter

Post by Jon S »

Yes, all Japanese imports are limited to 180kmh.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Cheers mate, what's the best way to remove it, I wanna go faster!
chuffy100

Post by chuffy100 »

Hello mate.

I;ve just imported a 1990 gt turbo from japan. to derestrict it and turn the speedo in mph, you need to visit this website:

www.protech-uk.co.uk

Here you need ring them up and order a de-restrictor for a rev 1 mr2 mk2. its about £60 and involves attaching 4 wires to the back of the speedo.

Not only will this de-restrict you, but it will also allow you to drive in mph, and the mile counter will also go in mph as well.
One thing you might want to do first, is make a note of the miles currently on the car in kph, because once you change it, it will keep the same number on there but go up in miles instead of kiloms, so if you want to sell it, you can tell the new buyer its exact mileage.

Need any help then just ask.

Alternatively you can get an apexi rev meter. It's an electronice gauge about 3 inches by 2 inches that sits on your dash. It derestricts your car, and also tells you your power output and measures your 0-60 or 0-100.
However, it doesn't convert the speedo into mph. you'll still need the protech-uk device for this. I have both fitted.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks for your help. I'm looking forward to getting it de-restricted now. I like the idea of knowing how much power i'm putting out.
Jon S

Post by Jon S »

The Rev 1 has a cable speedo and the delimiter is fixed on to the gear box . No wires involved.
Richard

Post by Richard »

If there are no wires, is it still possible to remove the limiter?
Jon S

Post by Jon S »

To delimit the car you don't remove anything, you attach a gizmo like this on to the gear box and connect it to the speedo cable.

It makes the speedo read in mph rather than kmh. The car is still limited but it will now cut out at 180 mph

I got mine from www.eliteinternational.co.uk (quite easy to fit aswell)

Jon

ps. you'll need a new speedo face aswell
Last edited by Jon S on Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Richard wrote:'91 Toyota MR2 G-ltd - auto. Can anyone tell me if this car has a speed limiter fitted as standard? The car is ok in 1st and 2nd gear, but seems to hold back at about 5000 in 3rd gear.

What speed is 5000rpm in 3rd gear?

The speed limiter will seem quite violent when it kicks in, so it sound like your 'holding back' problem is more likely to be related to something else.
Jon S

Post by Jon S »

I can't say I ever noticed anything violent when mine kicked in. Just a loss in power.

A little unnerving perhaps? but nothing dramatic.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.
5000 is approx 145km/h. It goes from 0 to 145 no problem, the power then stops like it's hitting a limiter.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”