Possible group buy/product development - Alloy air-con radiator

Forum For IMOC Group Buys

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bigcw

Possible group buy/product development - Alloy air-con radiator

Post by bigcw »

Hi all

I'm sure this concept may come as alien to some - ie uprating performance but keeping air con - but stick with me. :)

Following on from a thread on two brutal discussing this kit:

eBay link

...I got talking to the guy about a matching air-con radiator in alloy. There isn't one at the moment (that I know of!) anywhere, but he seems to think he can produce one for less than the cost of a stock replacement item. This all sounds good to me.

Note that I'm not doing this to uprate my air con system, far from it. It's just going to be highly annoying fitting a nice shiney alloy radiator to my car only to hide it behind a nasty old air con condensor!

But, we'd need to get 15-20 deposits on them for it to be worth the R&D work to produce one. He's aware that rev1/2 and rev3+ are different and I think (waiting for confirm) that we can accomodate a mix. At present I don't know a price other than better than the stock item costs (about £250 I believe). He's said he'll aim to beat any other alloy air-con rad option but I don't think there are any... unless someone knows otherwise?

So really this is just an exploratory post to see whether people would be interested in an alloy air con rad or if I'm the only person mad enough to want it. There are 2-3 people on TB that are interested, but we need more than that to make the development work worthwhile.

Anyone interested? Any feedback on the idea?

Cheers, Chris
MR2 mk2 |Woodsport V6
Audi RS6 Avant |daily drive
Pug 306 Cabrio |3.0 V6 conversion
Ford XR2 |2.0 Zetec on Megasquirt
Ford XR3 |1.8 Zetec
www.locostbuilders.co.uk
bigcw

Re: Possible group buy/product development - Alloy air-con radiator

Post by bigcw »

Nobody interested in a nice shiney air con condensor???

Chris
MR2 mk2 |Woodsport V6
Audi RS6 Avant |daily drive
Pug 306 Cabrio |3.0 V6 conversion
Ford XR2 |2.0 Zetec on Megasquirt
Ford XR3 |1.8 Zetec
www.locostbuilders.co.uk
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

I just bought one of those radiator kits so I might be up for the air con one too if it fits well with the radiator kit. The big questions are how much would it be and how much lighter than stock?

If we're talking about simlilar in price to that alloy radiator and a few kilos lighter than stock too then I would be interested :thumleft:

PS: what was the conclusion re: the alloy radiator kit on TB?
ryan

Post by ryan »

These are well over £300 from Toyota, £280 is cheapest Ebay one. I just nbought a good condition 2nd hand one. You may struggle to get people to commit to this if its going to be over £200, its one of those non essential things that a lot of people live without. Good luck with it though :thumleft:
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

I'm interested, air con is currently U/S due to knackered rad and I'm loking at option of ones from other similar cars but this might just be what I need. Not going to ditch the air con as its one of the things that makes the car what it is.

Return to “Group Buys - MR2 related”