Mk2 N/A - Supercharger Project

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Goldy

Re: Mk2 N/A - Supercharger Project

Post by Goldy »

Quick update :

Checked the engine out today for any damage. After removing the charger and bracketry my horrid engine vibration and knocking on deceleration has dissapeared. It turns out that it may have been caused by a very slack torque mount causing excessive back and forth play in the engine, causing it to knock on the brake servo vaccum pipework.

There is no damage to the engine.... I'm a happy man :mrgreen:
ImageImage
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Little update of whats been going on these last few weeks. I've been rather busy, trying to get the car finished in time for jae...

Over the last few weeks i've ....
Fitted a new boost gauge (1 bar jobbie),

bought some new wheels and spent about 2 weeks painting them \:D/ ,

I've bought all the silicone pipework required to plumb the intercooler in, consisting of 2 90 degree reducer elbows and some 2.5'' connector pipes.

I've been working on a method to seal the inlet to the supercharger properly to stop the air leak, thats come up fruitless. I may just buy the part from mini and see what I can do with it.

I've reversed the dump valve so it actually works the right way round now :whistle: .

I've been working on trying to build, mount and connect up my homebrew boost controller.

I've bought a one way valve for my crank vent to stop it pressurising, as its cheap and the simplest solution to the problem.

I've now fitted a new (well off ebay) working gm single wire knock sensor. Tested today and is fully working, so I have knock readouts on the safc2 \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Thatatatassssss all folks :tongue:
ImageImage
MartG

Post by MartG »

Keep up the good work =D> Looking forward to hearing how well it goes when you've got it fully sorted
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Just a brief update.

I've purchased a genuine mini inlet manifold from bmw now. Connect everything back up and its working beautifully. The install is looking a little different than before... not quite sure where this intercooler is meant to go now tho :mrgreen: !!

Its running though I still need to re-route the oil recirc pipe.

Also got my new wheels and tyres fitted today \:D/
ImageImage
MartG

Post by MartG »

Looking sweet mate =D>
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Was messing about yesterday with the intercooler positioning. Worked out just about the only place it fits with the new pipework!!

I looked at alternative intercoolers, but decided it would be best to get the pipes on mine modified for the job. The intercooler is at the welders at the moment, and the pipes will be rotated to face as shown in the picture.

I'm getting the oil return machined up to fit hole where the white bung is at the moment, and a catch tank is coming to stop tons of oil getting pumped through the charger. Hoping to have the install complete by the end of the week!!
ImageImage
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Superb stuff Si =D> , looking forward to seeing it at JAE!
EarL

Post by EarL »

Now thats what I call different mate. Excellent work. As it goes well too, I bet you didn't give up now! :wink:
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Cheers guys :)

Todays work... (so far)

Got the intercooler back from the welders.... £40 lighter but he'd done a decent job, and even put some paint on it. I gave it another coat of matt black all over for good measure!

The quick fix one way valve came today. This is an intermediate measure till the oil return bung to fit on the inlet to the charger turns up, and my catch can comes!

That was plumbed in neatly with a bit of pipe.

and with hundreds of magic jubileeee clips I put the intercooler in it didn't quite sit square, but its a nice snug fit in there!

I managed to bodge the tensioner working, and fired it up briefly tho the belt kept jumping about :rant: I've managed to burn my hand and loose a screwdriver and 6 washers somewhere in my engine as well :rant: :rant:

Waiting for the correct bolt and washers to come through the post for the tensioner. Going to knock the back 2 degrees l8r

Taraa for now :cyclops:
ImageImage
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Project now complete.... thanks all... i'm sure it wont stop here. onwards and upwards with tweeks etc...

the startup video is at :

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 778#368778

Thanks again everyone =D>
ImageImage
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

Good stuff.

And the butt dyno says????

Seriously. Be worth getting it on a dyno or even going the next step with an ecu maybe??

:?:
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

The butt dyno says.....QUICK tho the power delivery is smooth so you don't really realise how fast you're actually going. I pulls a hell of a lot better in the higher gears than it used to.

Hopefully getting it dyno'd tomorrow!
ImageImage
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

=D> Nice one Si. When's the conversion kit for 3SFE's coming out then? I'm sure Mark'll buy one. Image

No evidence of pinking? Looking forward to the dyno results!

Chris
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Its running on super unleaded at the mo. There doesn't seem to be any pinking (on the SAFC) or that I can hear 8)

Anyone know of a decent dyno in liverpool, they don't seem to be listed in the yellow pages! :-k
ImageImage
MartG

Post by MartG »

Any plans to put it on a rolling road to see what power you're getting now ?
ToyotaTosh

Post by ToyotaTosh »

Goldy wrote:Its running on super unleaded at the mo. There doesn't seem to be any pinking (on the SAFC) or that I can hear 8)

Anyone know of a decent dyno in liverpool, they don't seem to be listed in the yellow pages! :-k

Closest one I know of is in the Wirral. Been wanting mine dyno'd for a while but things keep coming up
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

adam_ep82

Post by adam_ep82 »

cartledge_uk wrote:Image

Have you been saving that for such a occasion :)
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

adam_ep82 wrote:

Have you been saving that for such a occasion :)

There are a few saved for such an occasion 8-[

Return to “Project Cars”