Leaky T-Bar repair

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Joey

Leaky T-Bar repair

Post by Joey »

Bloody roof is leaking again :x I vaguely remember a post on the old Q&A about using some sort of sealant to fix it. Does anyone know what stuff i need to buy ? and what i need to do ?
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Re: Leaky T-Bar repair

Post by tonigmr2 »

You need to be going to Halfords and getting some of their silicone spray methinks. In a bright yellow can.

T
michael

Post by michael »

Silicon lubricant or Eccentric Rod Guides, or better still both :)

This is a link to some photos of the rod guides
Joey

Post by Joey »

Already done the guides and replaced the t-bar rubber, still leaks :( There was definitely something about sealant.... I may give the spray a try
JK

Post by JK »

I tried all the methods , spray lubraicant, install eccentric rods..they did stop leaking for while...
At the endI decided to order genuine Toyota new rubber seals from the States, and it has been installed already a few months ago . No more leaks~ :lol:
chrisbilling

Post by chrisbilling »

There is also a modification that i developed to fully cure the leak.
The main reason that the tbar leaks is that the butt joints either side of the tbar panel shrink, with time.

With the panels fitted you will probably see a 2-3mm gap this is normally where they leak.

Step one lubricate all rubber seals

Step two: fit toyota offset guides to pull panel down harder

Step three modify butt joints with new bonded rubber sheet.

I hope this helps
Thanks

Chris
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Joey wrote:Bloody roof is leaking again :x I vaguely remember a post on the old Q&A about using some sort of sealant to fix it. Does anyone know what stuff i need to buy ? and what i need to do ?

click me
Baker

Post by Baker »

imho forget anything halfords have..and go for silicone sealant. its sticky, thick and clear and fills all the gaps in the rubbers where they meet.
ryan

Post by ryan »

Allans link will sort it.
I think I may have been the one who came up with the black silicone sealant idea as I did it about 18months ago now when I first got the tubby. Make sure you apply the sealent to the T bar panels though, and not the body seals, that way you won't see the sealent when you take the panels out come summer time. Also make sure you fit the panels straight away so not to let it dry. Doing this will deform the seals and make the leak worse. The sealent is designed to take up the slack (ie gap).
Give me a call on 07786 925482 if you need anymore help.
Oh, and well done Allan for making that little 'how to' . It was much needed to a common question :)
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

ryan wrote:Allans link will sort it.
I think I may have been the one who came up with the black silicone sealant idea as I did it about 18months ago now when I first got the tubby. Make sure you apply the sealent to the T bar panels though, and not the body seals, that way you won't see the sealent when you take the panels out come summer time. Also make sure you fit the panels straight away so not to let it dry. Doing this will deform the seals and make the leak worse. The sealent is designed to take up the slack (ie gap).
Give me a call on 07786 925482 if you need anymore help.
Oh, and well done Allan for making that little 'how to' . It was much needed to a common question :)

very welcome Ryan thanks to you for posting it originally. I will update my web page to give you the credit as you deserve. Its a brilliant treatment although I should have put the sealant on the t bar panels not the car body :oops: . Still, my seats and legs are dry so I'm not fussed :D
Joey

Post by Joey »

JK wrote:I tried all the methods , spray lubraicant, install eccentric rods..they did stop leaking for while...
At the endI decided to order genuine Toyota new rubber seals from the States, and it has been installed already a few months ago . No more leaks~ :lol:

How much did the seals from the states cost ? Where did you get them from ?
JK

Post by JK »

Link forwarded.
ryan

Post by ryan »

Hi Allan, merry xmas!
Well the T bar wasn't leaking at all, but after having the car resprayed, the drivers seal was not fitted properly, so wet ar$e this morning after some heavy rain. The top windscreen edge seal was bent outwands pushing the window away from the T bar seal, if you know what I mean. The seal must have some metal in it because I was able to bend it back into place. Hopefully no more wet arses now :lol:

BTW, my new girlfriend lives in Largs, anywhere near you??
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

Hello,

I want to replace most of the seals on my car, as one by the door is split, and the t-bar leaks, so i was just wondering where to get them from, and how much they cost?

Any links or websites would be much appreciated!!
Thanks

Graham
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

Ahhh ... I love my tin top :lol:
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

www.kbox.ca for new seals (cheapest I know of)
fizz

Post by fizz »

stevecordiner wrote:Ahhh ... I love my tin top :lol:

im not even gonna rise to that one.. :P
Joey

Post by Joey »

Hurstie1981 wrote:Hello,

I want to replace most of the seals on my car, as one by the door is split, and the t-bar leaks, so i was just wondering where to get them from, and how much they cost?

Any links or websites would be much appreciated!!
Thanks

Graham

http://www.partsdiscountwarehouse.com £110 to my door for the 2 seals that go on the car, you wouldn't even get one seal for that price over here !
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

Thanks for that!

WHat does the kit comprise of? I.e. which seals?>

Thanks

Gra
Joey

Post by Joey »

You're after new weatherstrips, enter your car details, browse the collision catalog, select 'Roof' from the menu on the left, from the sub menu pick 'Roof' again, then 'Glass' and finally 'Weatherstrip'. That's the seals for your t-bar panels. The other 'Weatherstrip' at the bottom of the 'Roof' sub menu are the seals that go up the doors and round the roof (that's the ones i bought)

Return to “Modifications”