[Mk2] [NA] exhaust for v6

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mistertubby2

[Mk2] [NA] exhaust for v6

Post by mistertubby2 »

Hi thinking of getting a mk2 v6 most have aftermarket exhausts the police are doing spot checks most weekends down here for noise levels loads have been booked.What std exhaust would be easiest to fit to the v6 set up a std or turbo one.Thanks.
Mr2_NA

Re: [Mk2] [NA] exhaust for v6

Post by Mr2_NA »

The mod is on the two down pipes (Y Pipes) from the V6 manifolds

The center section gets modded to fit your current back box.

Im having mine done next weekend to have an NA exhaust fitment so I can buy any NA exhaust and it should be direct fit.

If I had a turbo exhaust then any turbo exhaust after the mod should be direct replacement.

Stock would be quiet.

Japspeed I guess would be a tad loud.

Magnex, should be safe with that. Only ever heard they sound nice.

You could also get a silencer or bungs put in a japspeed should you like the look.
foxy-stoat

Post by foxy-stoat »

Had a magnex on my old v6, but the roar from the engine was louder than the exhaust !! LOL
We ALL make mistakes !!! :)
peterv6r5

Post by peterv6r5 »

Got N/A Mongoose on mine, nice burble at lower RPM but very nice howl at higher RPM.
zombie_dave

Post by zombie_dave »

get a Departure 2!! - there was one on fleabay the other day!!
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

Ive heard a japspeed on a v6 mr2 sounds sooooo loud, but very nice!
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

I was wondering about this too.

I was considering trading in the 2 for something a bit faster but I'm leaning toward a V6 conversion instead now.

In the mean-time I think my 2 could use a new exhaust but I don't want to spend (for example) £300 on a Mongoose back-box and decat if it turns out that it'll be too restrictive for the V6 later on.

Anybody know if all the popular aftermarket exhausts for the n/a ARE good enough to allow the V6 to breathe properly?

Beyond that, about the only thing I would say is it seems smart to fit a standard shaped exhaust and a decat pipe rather than one of the exhausts that miss out the decat pipe completely.
Least, if you use a standard design back box, you'll always have the option of buying a cat and bunging it in should the car fail the emissions test in the MOT.

Anybody have any idea how well the V6 does with emissions without a cat fitted?
Ben Varnals

Post by Ben Varnals »

My Cars currently being fitted with a 3vz-fe v6 up at woodsport. Got my self a 2nd hand powerflow exhaust off ebay for £150. The adv on ebay said it was "not loud" but will have to wait and see what it sounds like on the v6 will keep you posted, looks nice though.

As for the Cat. You don't need one as i'm told by Paul (Woodsport) its done on the age either the car or the engine (which ever is older) and if its pre 1994 its fine which my engine will be. Hes spoken to VOSA who run the MOT's and they said thats how it stands. Hes even giving me a covering letter to take in when I get my next MOT to make sure the garage don't ass me around.

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”