different audio options...

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

HighwayStar

different audio options...

Post by HighwayStar »

I'm looking for something to allow me to play an i-pod in the mk3. Its the later car, '05 in fact and the stereo is an unusual shape and fitment in that it seems to be part of the dash.
There looks to be no aux in socket and I'm told by Halfords I can't just drop in a different head unit since no fitting kit is available. They reckon the only way is to cut into the audio loom and hardwire in another unit but I still can't see how you could make it fit and finish it well.
Anyone changed their audio for something i-pod compatible and if so how did you do it?
Many thanks.

R.
Ekona

Re: different audio options...

Post by Ekona »

As usual, Halfrauds haven't got a clue what they're on about.

Assuming you've still got the standard Fisher Price post '03 head unit, all you need is a RAV 4 double DIN adaptor and you can fit any head unit you want. Grab yourself an ISO lead adaptor and you're done. I can highly recommend the Alpine IDA-X305 if you're after iPod comms as I've fitted one to my car and it works beautifully, and integrates with my 3GS an absolute treat. :thumleft:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Thanks Ekona.
Is the Rav4 double DIN adaptor common to all Ravs or do I need one from a specific model do you know? Also I'm no sparks so someone else will be doing the fitting... what's an ISO adaptor? I was looking for a head unit that has an aux in on the front (the easiest cheapest option) but since I have to change the unit anyway should I go for one with the connection at the back... surely it still has to be connected to the i-pod though so will still require a wire between them...unless it's Bluetooth?
Sorry but I know next to nothing about car audio.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Tell you what, I'll make this a bit easier for the both of us:

Buy this
and this
and then choose the right adaptor for whatever stereo you're going to buy

The Alpine unit I mentioned above (and indeed most iPod Alpine units) has a cable that connects in the back of the unit that you then route to wherever you like, and connects to the main iPod connection NOT the headphone jack, which means you can use the stereo itself to control the iPod. I left my lead in the single DIN pocket under the unit, which means the iPhone sits exactly where I want it to and I didn't have to run the cable anywhere else. :)

It's a far better way of doing than just using the cheapy AUX input as seen on the front of some units IMHO, which is only there just in case you should want to use another MP3 player. If you know you're sticking with the iPod, then I reckon it's best to do it properly.
excalibur1814

Nice

Post by excalibur1814 »

I went to ebay and purchased a double din 7" screen cd/USB/SD card player. Then purchased the wire(s) adapter from ebay, done. (Also added a small subwoofer)

Trouble is, the stero came from China :( (Awful if you have to send it back!)

Something like this
http://tinyurl.com/yav2jnk

Then again, that might be a little bit too much trouble
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Thanks very much for the replies. Oh and a very happy christmas to you.
Last question... is the ISO adaptor different to the harness adaptor you linked to in the last post Ekona? Is the ISO adaptor matched to the new audio whereas the harness adaptor is matched to the individual cars stereo wiring loom... do I have that right? Thx

R.
Jules-B

Post by Jules-B »

Ekona, correct me if im wrong. But would it not be easier to just buy a mk3 iso adaptor (obviously car specific) http://www.autoleads.co.uk/products/harness.html

Mine allowed me to plug it into the cars stereo wiring, and the other end plugged into the wiring loom that came with the stereo.
Last edited by Jules-B on Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

The 2nd link posted is the MK3 loom -> ISO adaptor. You'd only need a cable from the 3rd link if the head unit you were buying didn't come with the appropriate adaptor (ie if it was 2nd hand etc).
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”