Alloy wheels

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

excalibur1814

Alloy wheels

Post by excalibur1814 »

Ok, now that I have a Mk3, I'd really like to change the standard alloys to something like this:

http://www.dotz-wheels.co.uk/DOTZ_roadster.htm
(I have a plan)

but realise that they're 17"not 16". I've started reading on other forums but was wondering if the above wheels would handle ok or take away from that handling. They should weigh around 9kg which is better than the usual 14ish kg.

Would they need to be different dimensions on the rear to the front?

Thanks and yes, I'm asking the usual questions as usual :D
excalibur1814

Re: Alloy wheels

Post by excalibur1814 »

Hmmm

205/40x17 (f)
215/45x17 (r)

?
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

They will be okay, but 225/40 on the rear is much better (like a billion times so). Assuming you can get them in the right offset (as close to 32 as possible IIRC) then they'll be okay, but they'll still be heavier than stock and you'll trade looks for ultimate feel. I used to run 17"s on my old car for a while, but it felt so much more progressive when I dropped back to pre-facelift 15" wheels that that's how I left the car.

16"s would be the ideal choice having seen/driven a few cars myself, and that's where my money would go. A nice set of TE37s would look ace, and oh-so light too...
excalibur1814

Nice

Post by excalibur1814 »

Hmm,
http://tinyurl.com/ko7dz2

It's difficult choosing wheels for a car and I was very lucky to have bought the Mk2 with near perfect wheels. I'll try to stick with 16" wheels as I don't want to take away any of the handling. I might not be able to accelerate like a turbo car so I'm going to enjoy the way it moves.

I do like the above alloys... very nice..
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f ... 1&t=175011
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

ekona wrote:They will be okay, but 225/40 on the rear is much better (like a billion times so). Assuming you can get them in the right offset (as close to 32 as possible IIRC) then they'll be okay, but they'll still be heavier than stock and you'll trade looks for ultimate feel. I used to run 17"s on my old car for a while, but it felt so much more progressive when I dropped back to pre-facelift 15" wheels that that's how I left the car.

16"s would be the ideal choice having seen/driven a few cars myself, and that's where my money would go. A nice set of TE37s would look ace, and oh-so light too...

What you really want is a set of facelift alloys with Advan Neovas on .... :wink:
excalibur1814

Nice

Post by excalibur1814 »

Hmmm, I need to get myself a source of facts and info for the Mk3 so I can start to learn about the facelift etc, when it happened, what changed etc. I know about the pre-cats and that will be resolved asap so thats one thing out of the way...

So.. how much are those tyres :pale:
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Seriously though, te37's look very nice :+:

I've taken both the early 15" rims and then the facelift rims around the old anglesey circuit, and the better combination on track by far was actually the earlier 15" rims - much more progressive and playful.
Here's some footage of me last September at Woodbridge, car is running on 15" rims with T1-Rs all around. ( about £300 a set )

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... idge+video

For the road, I've got the Advan Neovas from the Series 1 Elise on the later facelift rims, and it has to be said they're absolutely the best road tyres you can get - full stop. They've got amazing wet grip and are very progressive. Cost is £440 for a set though - but they do last well on the road as the Roadster is a light car.

The Car balance is neutral to slightly understeery in the wet - but that's easily overcome if you want to play.
excalibur1814

Nice

Post by excalibur1814 »

205/40x16 (f)
225/40x16 (r)

close to 30 as possible

Would the above be correct? I've never wheel spinned the Mk2 tubby and wouldn't even dream of wheel spinning any car so factering in normal everyday use, how long would a set of those £440 tyres last? If a few years, I'd seriously consider getting a set.

Blimey... serious tyre noises from that video :D Car also sounds good.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

That'd be fine - but if you don't tend to push to the limit ( I don't either on the public roads ) then I'd say T1-Rs would be fine in that size - it would give you a nicely neutral balance to play with.

If you are tempted by the Advan Neovas ( which are truly fantastic ) - on lightweight alloys, note that the front's are 15" in size and and rears 16" (!)

My experience with Advan Neovas is that the rears last around 10-12k miles ( this is with the turbo of course ) and fronts about twice as long - 20-25k miles.
excalibur1814

Nice

Post by excalibur1814 »

I usually don't put my foot down and if I do, I pretty much know the roads or motorway trips. :D

205/40x15 (f)
225/40x16 (r)

close to 30 as possible

Off to collect the car tomorrow. Woohoo
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

If you can afford to splash out, get the Neovas like Ben said. I have never been so in love with a set of tyres so much in my life. Having driven an MR2 shod with them, you'll not find a better tyre for progression, outright grip AND fantastic in the rain. Best tyres ever bar none.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”