Steve's 1.5 SE build thread

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PW@Woodsport

Re: Steve's 1.5 SE build thread

Post by PW@Woodsport »

cheers G,its really no bother to be honest,im just copying across the same build thread from TB.

Well today was day 1 of the conversion,and there was a lot to do! starting with the removal of the mk2 turbo engine from its donor....this one looks dirty and manky but it purrs sweetly with no oil consumption and zero turbo play,it also comes with an LSD equipped box so a result there for steve.Needless to say this engine will look very different before it goes into steves car

A few hours later and it was out,it was lowered onto my engine dolly and then pulled clear of the car...

We then pulled the petrol tank out as well to get the turbo fuel pump out,we are going to need this for steves build.... and steves sc pump will be used in petes build.

With that done and all necessary parts stripped off the mk2 i pushed it outside and drove steves SC onto the lift....

Heres his SC engine just before i removed it...

A few hours later and that too was on the floor,i dont think ive ever done as much in one day!

So both engines have been removed from their respective homes,tomorrow sees the SC engine mounts removed from the chassis,the point of no return i call it! and the turbo engine partially stripped and degreased.

Forgot to say if you want to follow the build live go to....

tv.woodsport.org

username:woodsport
password:tv

click camera A either activeX or java depending what your pc has.
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

Paul,

Would be an interesting time to get a really big set of scales and find out the exact difference in weight between a complete 3S-GTE with 'box and 4A-GZE with 'box.... :lol:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

thats a great idea...where can i get scales from before tomorrow? i wonder how high bathroom scales go?
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

Not high enough I suspect mate, unless maybe they are US-spec... :lol:
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

PW@Woodsport wrote:thats a great idea...where can i get scales from before tomorrow? i wonder how high bathroom scales go?

Wouldnt work, all bathroom scales read lower than real value due to female fiddling
andyj

Post by andyj »

Paul, fascinating stuff. I'll be looking in at the tv site.

So out of interest why was the donor car scrapped? Is it difficult to find donor vehicles and where to they come from? Do you source donor cars for the customer?

Andy
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

andyj wrote:Paul, fascinating stuff. I'll be looking in at the tv site.

So out of interest why was the donor car scrapped? Is it difficult to find donor vehicles and where to they come from? Do you source donor cars for the customer?

Andy

Most come from here clicky me or any breakers STB, BOK, GTS chris.. etc etc.

Cars are broken for various reasons, most tubbys seem to crash, especially round winter times.
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Its what the MK2's were made for......... as engine donors for the MK1 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: , Jinxy
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

andyj wrote:Paul, fascinating stuff. I'll be looking in at the tv site.

Andy

Hi Andy, the donor car wasn't scrapped it was still on the road, the bloke i bought it from drove it to Pauls.
It was great yesterday, i was watching my engine being taken out on Pauls tv cam.
System-G

Post by System-G »

Paul / Steve, what is happening with the GZE? Is it being used for Pete's build? Any special plans?
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

System-G wrote:Paul / Steve, what is happening with the GZE? Is it being used for Pete's build? Any special plans?

Its going its petes car, there will be another swap thread for it to hopefully.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

indeed there will tim,i dont mind doing that.

Right today i dropped out the fuel tank....

This was to install the mk2 turbo fuel pump and also get the SC pump out for petes car.... here is the turbo pump fitted into the mk1 carrier,plug n play.

next job was to chop the battery tray out and also get rid of the engine mounts..... here is the NS mount ground off and battery tray gone...

And the OS mount ground off....

While i was in a grinding mood the rear boot wall got doctored as well,this is for manifold clearance and intercooler pipe routing.You dont need to chop the firewall but it lets the engine sit 1" further back which straightens the driveshaft angle and keeps the turbo away from the evap lines on the front bulkhead

This hole gets braced and panelled in before i respray the engine bay.

Next job was to fit my mk1 turbo mount jig,this one was made off my original 1.5 back in 2002 i think.... it bolts onto spare holes in the engine bay and places the mounts exactly where they need to be,without this jig it takes approx 2 days of faffing around dummy fitting the engine to get the driveshaft endfloat correct and tacking plates in... thats how the very first 1.5 wa built along with a few others.A much more professional version of this jig is available for loan for TB big members.

Next job was to cut out the mount plates out of 5mm steel.For this we lay cardboard templates (these templates are also available on TB in the downloads section) out on the steel and spray over them.....

then i used my plasma cutter to cut them out.

These are then marked and drilled to fit the jig holes and welded onto the chassis....

Then the jig is unbolted and removed from the bay,its job is done.... and both mounts are seam welded and given top plates for strength....

the completed NS mount

the completed OS mount

Once the rear wall is welded all welds will be seam sealed and the whole engine bay resprayed.
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

It's looking good Paul, i like these daily updates!!
Tony jinxy froude

Great job as always mate :thumleft: Thanks for sharing this with IMOC, it may persuade a few others to go for the swap too :thumleft: , Jinxy
Last edited by Tony jinxy froude on Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

well i dont need the work but if it encourages a few more home builds that would be great
Tony jinxy froude

Yeah ive seen that, you work too bloody hard as it is mate !! :thumleft:
Jinx
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

PW@Woodsport wrote:well i dont need the work but if it encourages a few more home builds that would be great

That's why i have gone with the man that know's what he is doing!
It's great you have taken on my car. I know it will be the best quality!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

i do my best steve!

today i fabricated the rear boot access panel supports,these add a bit of strength to the rear firewall and provide a face for the access panel to be bolted back on...

then its a matter of bridging the sides in with steel plate....

and the other side gets a smaller plate....

this is because the intercooler pipes will exit the engine bay just above that panel.

next job was to dummy fit the intercooler,we partition off the right corner of the boot and dedicate it to cooling,much better than stuck in the mk2 engine bay i think.Vents can be added above or below or in the side quarter in future if steve wants more.I made supports that hold the IC exactly where it needs to be....

Next the coilpack and injector resistor pack are dummy fitted...i needed to weld bolts onto the walls to hold these priort to painting....

Next all welded joins are seam sealed...

And with the engine bay masked it got two coats of cellulose primer followed by a groundcoat of mica blue....

This is just the first mica blue ground coat to help with coverage,hence why its patchy,it will get 3 or 4 more coats of 8E4 on monday and then clearcoat laquered.
pkmr2

Post by pkmr2 »

Amazing progress paul you really don't hang about! :clap:

Won't be long b4 we can say goodbye to my well known smokey na lump guys. Nomore Stinky Pete!!!!!!!!!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

cheers,pics look a bit crap at the moment but its early days... thats just the first groundcoat of paint,it will look 100% better and the correct colour once i get several coats of midnight blue on there and laquered... then it will be like a new engine bay.

Lots more to come.

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”