removing the power steering?

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pistol pete

removing the power steering?

Post by pistol pete »

I building a track only 2zz.
I have always felt on my old mk3 on track the steering is just too light!

Have thought about disconnecting the power-steering and just looping the lines together so no junk going into the lines etc.

Any one else done this? results? worth doing? better feel?
I know it will be heavy at low speeds i am not fussed out that, Chatting to someone the other day whos P/s pump had failed they carried on driving while waiting for a new one to arrive but said that the car did feel a lot better when moving

cheers
ashley

Re: removing the power steering?

Post by ashley »

I've done it on the mkII, and you're spot on- it is heavier at low speeds (but it's a heavier car as well), but feels much nicer once you're going. I'm even toying with increasing the ratio further if I can get a "quick rack" made up.

I'd suggest not plumbing the lines together cost you'll increase the input effort required as you force fluid (or air if you drain it) through the pipes and valving. Strip the rack and remove the circular plate in the middle of the rack itself that seals and pushes the fluid- it's peened to the shaft, so a doddle to remove :thumleft:
Chumbaside

Post by Chumbaside »

I've done the same as Ashley on my MK2 i.e. removed the 'plate' from the rack itself. Dead easy to do. It makes such a difference to the feel of the steering on track, so much more positive and "connected".

Harder work in the pits, but worth the trade-off IMO.
Chemolaaa

Post by Chemolaaa »

Awesome forum

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”