My 400whp saga, 373whp after mapping.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Equium Duo

Re: My 400whp saga, 373whp after mapping.

Post by Equium Duo »

Those spacers on the rear! How much do you need?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

They're 60mm. That's how much the wheel needed to come out to sit properly. Fronts needed 40mm :)
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

:!:
Last edited by blogsy on Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Sorry, Not long in the door. Mapper says he thought he could hear a "mechanical noise" through the cans. Short version is i only came away with 310bhp although the car feels much much much faster than a 310bhp car. So much so that I've not even been able to keep the foot down past 15psi. The whole front end lifts! Anyway, I need to investigate noise then go back to add boost/timing. Was very frustrating today 😭

I also had my wastegate opening way too early and a developed a wee blow in exhaust (pre turbo). So pretty f*cked off ha!

Just a side note, The guy Andy who owns RA motorsport was certain the "mechanical noise" was just the wee exhaust blow, I listened on the cans myself and thought the same but Russ has done this for years and really really knows his stuff so it's best i inspect the engine and see if i can find any issue.
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

Unlucky mate, keep at it.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah that's the plan bud. Gonna inspect top end on Friday, In theory the engine should be sound. There's no notable noises by ear and as said in the cans it sounded like an exhaust blow to me. Definitely a tick at least. We'll see what's what. I have another brand new wastegate but I actually think it just has too weak a spring in the current one. Car is driving superbly, There's no way it's only 310bhp, I've had a 310bhp mr2 and this current setup would have blown that away :) I'm not phased by it all, If there is a problem with the engine I'll find it, rectify it and go in for another session. All he needs to do is add timing and it's done. He has setup the map so if i change the wastegate (and boost is coming in sooner then the map will still be safe :)
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

Good luck :thumleft: :thumleft: Hope it goes well....
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

cheers bud. hoping to find something obvious when inspecting that way it can be fixed. Not knowing is the worst. I've had a few messages from folk saying they've had similar experiences with the mapper and he's maybe just being over cautious. I can't hear any unwanted noises whatsoever. Had a couple of mechanics say the same so god knows!
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

AND... :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

so, had valve cover off, checked all the caps, no discolouring or anything, cams all fine too. Checked valve clearances and did find one was just about out of tolerance. It's deffo making a small tick but nothing to worry about. However. We put a stethoscope (a drumstick) on it and you can hear it for sure, again, nothing to worry about but...When we put the stethoscope on the inlet manifold that noise is amplified. It is 100% being amplified to a notable level. Guess where the mapper had his cans attached? The inlet manifold. So pretty confident we're hearing what he was hearing. Gonna have a word with him and hopefully get him to have another listen. I'll take a long the drumstick as it worked way better than his cans (since sounds travels better through wood). Hopefully I can get in for another couple of hours mapping pronto. Pretty confident the engine is spot on other than needing a shim on the inlet cam soon.

Oh, also did a compression test. All cylinders perfect.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

So after some inspection and head scratching it turns out cam timing was out. All sorted now. Dyno booked (I'm not sharing the date) so car will be mapped soon and hopefully up into the 400bhp area! Turns out the noise that the mapper heard in the cans is a fuber'd driveshaft bearing, The one that bolts to the block...Did another oil change and it's all good, Cut filter open as well and was like new inside.

Big thanks to my mate Kris for sorting the engine timing out on a days notice!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

So had the car at dynatune today. Made 373 at the hubs. Couldn't go any further as fuel pressure was all over the place. I have a dead head setup and Chris at dynatune thinks that may be the issue.

Works out to about 420bhp so I'm pretty happy. Car is pretty lairy :)
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

Nice to see some numbers!!! :thumleft: :thumleft:

Why would a dead head setup play with fuel pressure? fuel return shouldn't really affect it much as it after the FPR. ( asking as I am going a dead head setup ](*,) ](*,) )
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I'm not sure to be honest man but he says he was getting spikes at idle and recommended i go to a regular return :(

I will try that as it's so simple to switch it (I've already switched between the 2 setups twice now). I would have switched it today but just never had the time. Had my daughter with me.
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

400 club, well done mate. :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Cheers bud, Mapper says there's looooads of timing left to add. I'll get fuel pressure sorted and pop back. Somethings deffo not right as the pump makes a hell of a whine (genuine walbro). I'm confident car will do at least 400 at the wheels. He actually had it doing 380 but dialled it back due to the pressure issue.

Did my first ever full bore, flat out pull in it last night. It's very very quick ha!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Sooooo.....Got all my suspension issues sorted. Car is riding extremely nice now. And fitted an up to date head unit, with carplay, android auto, DAB radio etc as well as new speakers. I can finally say I absolutely love the car again. having 400+bhp does help as well mind you!! It's never gonna be as quick as my zx12r but for a car it is a lot of fun!!! I am gonna iron out my fuel pressure issue and have decided to just go top feed with 100cc injectors. Save any future headaches when mapping but for now i'm gonna just enjoy the bloody thing!!!

I've done just under 3000 miles in it now and other that daft tuning issues and engine timing being out it's been faultless. Always started up first time etc. It's currently my daily driver. I'm getting better MPG than my XC90 (when driving it normally). About 100 miles off 20 quid :D
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Well done Ryan :thumleft:

The walbro whine is not an issue, mine is like that after prolonged spirited driving. It calms down after some normally driving. Took me a while to get used to. Had mine in my car for 5 years now.

In my setup, when going for big power, my tuner said the fuel pump power was fluctuating so couldn't tune it. Its apparently a common fault.

Anyway he changed some if the wiring going to the fuel pump so it has a constant 12v (think its 12v) I think that may be your problem. I don't have any FPR just using oem.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Actually had a message from another member suggesting this. A very very common issue at this power level so I'll get the pump wiring sorted too. The whine drives me absolutely mental haha! It is non stop from the moment you turn on the ignition:( what power are you making and what injectors/rail?
Hez

Post by Hez »

My Walbro was the same, it wasn't too bad on short journeys but if you got stuck in traffic it progressively louder.
It was a concern but I was told it was nothing to worry about.
Made 2.0 bar on a Gt3082R with a Speedsource rail and 1200cc injectors.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”