Red Rev 3 tintop turbo (pictures added)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Dilly

Red Rev 3 tintop turbo (pictures added)

Post by Dilly »

Hi, I'm new to imoc and this is my first MR2.

As suggested in the title I am new to the forum, my MR2 however isn't!

I became the owner in April. Looking over the forum history, I can see this car has been owned by forum members for years! Nails built the car to where it is today.

He added a lot of great mods and left an in depth build thread for me to find out all I needed to know about the history of the car! So a big thanks Nails, you put together a great MR2!

Since April nothing much has changed cosmetically. Apart from a good machine polish! Added an NRG quick release boss to the Nardi personal wheel to give a better driving position/more safety when she's parked at work. But that's about it.

Mechanically there were various areas that needed a little attention.
Firstly the front tyres were knackered and the alignment was way out! On the ride home from picking her up I felt like I was going to fall off the road. Got half way home and wondered if I'd made a huge mistake. 😂
So a trip to Elite in Rainham, full alignment and 2 new Hankook V12 to match up with the rears. It was like a different car!! The fronts were so old they were out of shape! So you can imagine how bad it felt. I've never known a more tyre sensitive car to be honest.

I then gave the car to Mark at Advance Evolution. To have a look over and give her a full service.
Coolant flushed/replaced, engine oil, gearbox oil, Toyota fuel filter, Toyota oil filter, Toyota thermostat and a gearbox seal on the drivers side. Also replaced the piper cross air filter with an ITG filter for the ARC airbox. Bled the brakes, new brake fluid and sorted a seized caliper on the n/s/r.

I sent the CT20b turbo to Midland Turbo for a rebuild with a Steel turbine, they also replaced the actuator. Great service btw. Had the turbo back within the week looking like new. Whilst the turbo was off we noticed the berk downpipe was cracked so Mark welded it up. Refitted the turbo with new Toyota gaskets.
Had some issues with irregular boost, spiking all over the place so changed the solenoid for the Greddy Boost Controller which sorted this. Then the Blitz BOV got stuck open! So removed it took it apart sanded the piston, re oiled and all is good! Currently running 1.2bar, pulls to redline effortlessly.

That's where I'm up to now! Really getting to know this great little car!
There are more bits I'd like to change, but for now I'm just going to enjoy it for the rest of the summer! Really surprised how good the handling is after hearing all the horror stories about MR2's! I've never driven a car you can power out of corners so early in :D

Spec:
Super Red Rev 3 ‘96' tintop turbo

Advan SA3R 17x8/17x9
Hankook Ventus V12 F215/40R17 : R245/40R17
Meister R Coilovers
EBC Red stuff Pads
Goodrich Braided Brake Lines
Radtec Chargecooler
Arc airbox / ITG filter
Blitz BOV
Blitz Nur Spec Exhaust
Berk Downpipe
Greddy Profec B spec ii (1.2bar High setting)
Steel Turbine Ct20b
Magnecor Ignition Leads
NGK Plugs

Aeroware Splitter
Toms skirts, rear bumper, spoiler.

ImageImage:
Last edited by Dilly on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: Red Rev 3 tintop turbo (pictures added)

Post by Ryan S »

you need 5 or 10 posts to do the pictures. upload to imgur, then copy the images address. Use the image button, Image at the end.

and your pic should display.
Dilly

Post by Dilly »

Ok, thanks for the heads up..

Cue me posting lots of dumb questions to get my numbers up! :D
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Dilly wrote:Ok, thanks for the heads up..

it's the imoc way mate :thumleft:
Draven

Post by Draven »

Ryan S wrote:
Dilly wrote:Ok, thanks for the heads up..

it's the imoc way mate :thumleft:

Yup i've got like 15k posts and i'm still asking dumb questions
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

Welcome
Dilly

Post by Dilly »

platmatt8 wrote:Welcome

Thanks!

I'll post pictures ASAP..
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

if you're struggling gimme a shout and i'll get them up for you :thumleft:
Dilly

Post by Dilly »

Ryan S wrote:if you're struggling gimme a shout and i'll get them up for you :thumleft:

Appreciate it! Just got to get a few extra posts in I think!
Dilly

Post by Dilly »

Ryan S wrote:if you're struggling gimme a shout and i'll get them up for you :thumleft:

Appreciate it! Just got to get a few extra posts in I think!
Dilly

Post by Dilly »

Appreciate it! Just got to get a few extra posts in I think! :lol:
Dilly

Post by Dilly »

\:D/
Dilly

Pictures! (finally)

Post by Dilly »

Finally got enough posts and stuck some pictures up..

:clap:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Lovely looking car, gold advans look great!
Nails

Post by Nails »

I've been keeping an eye on here hoping it would pop back up, here's hoping you look after it better than the lad I sold it to. He really seemed to let it go a bit.

Just before I took it off the road for its last winter with me I replaced all the ball joints, drop links, and tracks rod ends, it was set up by eye and I planned for a 4 geo setup, that never happened as baby number 2 came, and I realised I needed to sell it as it never would be used. The buyer was informed it needed doing and I'm sure it was the advert.

I'd be interested to know if you ever get it on the rollers again to see what it puts out when its not one of the hottest days of the year like when I had it done.
Dilly

Post by Dilly »

Nails wrote:I've been keeping an eye on here hoping it would pop back up, here's hoping you look after it better than the lad I sold it to. He really seemed to let it go a bit.

Trust me

Just before I took it off the road for its last winter with me I replaced all the ball joints, drop links, and tracks rod ends, it was set up by eye and I planned for a 4 geo setup, that never happened as baby number 2 came, and I realised I needed to sell it as it never would be used. The buyer was informed it needed doing and I'm sure it was the advert.

I'd be interested to know if you ever get it on the rollers again to see what it puts out when its not one of the hottest days of the year like when I had it done.
Dilly

Post by Dilly »

Trust me it's been getting pampered!

Had a full alignment done as soon as I got it home. It was all over the place on the drive home when I bought it! I'm not happy with the coilovers so they are going, replacing with some KW's as soon as I can.

Haven't had it on the rollers yet but it's quick! Doesn't use a drop of oil either seems to be a nice healthy motor.

I'm glad you commented! Really appreciate the effort you put in to the car, spent plenty of time reading your build thread.

Keep checking back here I have some nice plans for the car in the new year :thumleft:
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

pics not working for me :-(
Dilly

Little update

Post by Dilly »

Just a little update as some of the parts start to arrive.

Cars been off the road for the winter as the downpipe cracked, I had it welded up once before but this time it was terminal. So ordered a downpipe & tubular manifold from Tuning Developments.

I was looking for a downpipe that definitely would not foul the wastegate as id been struggling with over boost issues since having the turbo rebuilt with a billet wheel. This one seems to have plenty of room and since they made a decent looking tubular steam pipe manifold to go with it, I couldn't resist! Plus the price was right.

Im having a mate stick some extra welds on it before it goes on to be sure there are no issues.

Whilst the turbo is off I am going to have the wastegate ported.

Also picked this up for 500 quid, which I was pretty happy with!

Image[/img]

Ive spoken to Dave Rowe about mapping it, so once everything else is in order i'll get it booked in.

Also picked up a set of roll centre adjusters from MR2 Heaven in the states. Ordered a Walbro 255lph fuel pump and a Tegiwa turbo blanket.

Next thing on the list is a fuel pressure regulator and gauge. Im thinking Fuelab as they've been recommended by a mate.

Im assuming that the stock Map sensor will be good for the power levels I can achieve with stock internals and a CT20. However if I am way off here please let me know!

Hoping to get an Aqua Mist water meth kit before it goes in for mapping, whether I have it mapped for this or use it more for safety/cooling is not completely decided on. Again anyone with any experience feel free to let me know how your w/m is set up.

Im thinking that the stock injectors will be good for around the 300 WHP mark which will be my goal for now. Was going to look at Sard 800cc side feeds for safety and to cover any future upgrades but it seems they are like rocking horse poo nowadays.

Thats where i'm up to at the moment anyway :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Dont bother with WI unless you're getting it mapped in. If it's not mapped in, it just arses around with your power and kills torque.

Personal experience.

Return to “Member Profiles”