Pauln

We all need a little help or parts for our cars from time to time. Let us know who has helped. Please read the sticky before posting.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Gullzter

Pauln

Post by Gullzter »

Don't really come across many traders who go that extra mile so I just wanted to give a massive thumbs up to Paul, he has purchased from myself in the past (a tricky situation which he was more than patient with) and this time I returned the favour by purchasing a pair of harnesses off him.
He sent me many many PM's explaining how everything works from start to finish so it was fool proof.
So again THANK YOU for a pleasant transaction and I won't hesitate to purchase in the future again from this gentleman :thumleft:

Pauln

Re: Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Thanks mate, your welcome. Looks a tidy installation :thumleft:

Paul
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

It is tidy enough, just need to adjust it all to suit me. I decided after I installed the eye bolts to leave the interior stripped out :eye:

Thanks again
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

Harnesses look good....quite fancy them as well. Easy enough job to do?
IMOC - winners of JAE best overall club stand 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017!
1994 GT-S T-Bar 397bhp with NOS *sold*
2016 Porsche Cayman 981GTS 347bhp Flat Six
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Scott Barton wrote:Harnesses look good....quite fancy them as well. Easy enough job to do?

I would say pretty simple yeah, my interior sound deadening was already stripped out and all I did was strip carpets and bulkhead carpet out then I left my interior stripped so saved me a bit of time.

The only issue i have is the shoulder straps sit too tight to my neck and rub giving a slight burn but I think that's more so to do with the seats I have, so looking to get a fixed bucket in future where the shoulder straps would sit wider.

If you need a how to do, Paul wrote up and sent me a fantastic one, I'll see if I still have it and forward it to you :thumleft:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Just checked and I haven't saved it Scott :oops:

I have a few pictures on my build thread where you can see roughly where I have put my eye bolts on this page:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... &start=480

Hope that helps 8-[
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

I've tried to piece together the following quick guide for fitting a Schroth 6 point Profi II-FE ASM clip in Harness in an MR2, from the exchange of emails I had with Munir.

First the disclaimer. I don't claim to be an expert in safety matters, so all I can do is describe how I did the job and leave it to you to make your own mind whether to do something similar.

The installation involves fitting six eye bolts per harness. For the shoulder straps you need to drill two holes through the rear firewall and push two eye bolts through using spreader plates in the engine bay. The main thing is to make sure the shoulder straps run close to horizontal off your shoulders and certainly no more than 20 deg down from horizontal. The exact position of these will obviously depend on your height, the seat you are using, and whether the seat is on runners or fixed directly to a frame bolted to the floor. In my case the seats are on runners, so the eye bolts are fairly high up the firewall:

For the inner lap belt fixing point I drilled a hole through floor, fairly close to the bolt sticking out of the tunnel, where the flat section of floor is widest and the material is double skinned. You will need to fit a spreader plate underneath, so again make sure you drill the hole in a position that allows the spreader plate to be in full contact with the underside of the floor. Finally don't forget to watch the pipe work that runs under the floor alongside the tunnel when drilling this hole.

The following photo shows the inner eye bolt as fitted:

I've known some folks use the bolt sticking out of the tunnel, but I didn't want to put my trust in that as I don't believed it's designed to take that sort of load.

For the sub straps I drilled two further holes in the floor close together either side of the centre line, and pretty much directly under the sub harness hole in my bucket seat in my normal driving position (my seat is on rails). I was careful not to drill the holes too far apart as I didn't want a lot of pressure on the sides of the hole as they pass through. But this is always going to be a bit of a compromise, just make sure they are wide enough apart to allow the two strengthening plates under the floor to sit side by side, and the clips on the belts to not foul each other. So the position will partly depend on the plates you use. The floor pan is pretty thin at this point so don't skimp on the spreader plates used.

I then applied a generous coat of under seal to the three plates to help protect them and hopefully keep everything watertight.

The following photo of Munir's floor pan shows the approximate position of the three holes I drilled:

For the outer laps belt I simply replaced the stock seat belt mounting bolt with a suitable eye bolt, so as allow retention of the stock three point seat belt:

Ideally the inner and outer lap belt fixing points should be in line, but a bit of compromise may be needed with the inner fixing to make sure it's fixed where the floor is thicker.

So when its in place the harness should look something like this:

This Schroth harness incorporates an anti submarine strip (the yellow pad on the inboard shoulder strap just coming through harness hole in the back of the seat). This must always be on the inboard shoulder, which is why these harnesses are handed.

As far as I'm aware the MR2 uses the standard 7/16 unf thread size for all stock seat belt fittings. Well that was certainly true on the two I've owned.

Three eye bolts 23mm x 7/16 inch unf were used for the sub straps and the inboard lap belt fixing points, and three 7/16 inch UNF eye bolts around 32mm long for the shoulder straps and the outer lap belt fixing. For the shoulder straps it doesn't really matter if they are a bit on the long side, but for the outer lap belt fixing length is pretty critical if you aim to retain the stock 3 point belts as well. So it's worth undoing one of your existing lap belt bolts to double check the length required.

With regards the backing/spreader plates, these are obviously essential to spread the load in the event of an accident and personally I wouldn't use anything under 3mm thick. From memory spreader plates should be a minimum of 4,000sq mm, so the 65 x 65mm x 3mm plate sold on ebay should be OK.

But... and there's always a but, I personally found rectangular plates were easier to accommodate, especially for the inner lap belt mounting and the engine bay.

Much will depend on where you position your shoulder strap eye bolts and how much room there is at that point in the engine bay.

There are various suppliers for eye longer bolts, just make sure they have a minimum tensile rating of 8.8. I can personally recommend the guys at GSM who I've always found very helpful:
GSM

Finding suitable rectangular spreader plates is more problematic. I currently use Schroth 80mm x 50mm x 3mm plates which you can buy from JJC Race and Rally, but at £4.26 each (plus VAT) they are not cheap:
JJC R&R

Hope that helps
Paul
Last edited by Pauln on Wed May 17, 2017 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

What a guy, thanks Paul :clap:
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

Good stuff Paul! Thanks!
Certainly something for me to consider.

:thumleft:
IMOC - winners of JAE best overall club stand 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017!
1994 GT-S T-Bar 397bhp with NOS *sold*
2016 Porsche Cayman 981GTS 347bhp Flat Six

Return to “Trader Feedback”